1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

The two camera solution

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Jock Elliott, Nov 14, 2014.

1. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott SC All-Pro

Jan 3, 2012
    Troy, NY
    Holmes was fond of the three-pipe problem. I've got a soft spot in my heart for the two-camera solution.

2_camera_solution_006_Medium_.JPG

Outstanding low-light capability from 24-300mm (e, with digital zoom), constant f/2.8 aperture from 24 to 1200mm (e, with digital zoom).

Total weight: 2 pounds, 8.5 ounces, not including pouch. Total cost at today's Amazon prices: $1,419.

Makes me smile!

Cheers, Jock

• Like Like x 6
  2. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I hate to break the bad news to you, Jock.

But "The Two Camera Solution" may lead to "The Three Camera Solution" if you're not vigilant. Have you seen some of these people's gear signatures?! :eek:

In all seriousness, I think you're set. I'm glad you found what you were looking for. And I think it's helpful that they are the same maker and likely have similar processing engines and button layouts.

• Like Like x 1
  3. RT Panther

RT Panther SC All-Pro

Dec 25, 2012
    It can be done though! :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  4. john m flores

john m flores SC All-Pro

Aug 13, 2012
    It's usually less of a "solution" and more of a "flavor of the month".

Enjoy the ice cream!

• Like Like x 3
  5. bilzmale

bilzmale Super Moderator Emeritus

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    I agree with you Jock - I have the Sony version with RX10 and RX100. Luke, it didn't stop me buying a used Canon G12 last month - nice little camera but not needed! :dash2:

• Like Like x 2
  6. demiro

demiro Serious Compacts For Life

Dec 15, 2011
    I'm currently working with a four camera frugal folly. Canon EOS-M w/22 + Sigma DP3M + Panny LF1 + Nikon P510. Used prices under $1200.

• Like Like x 2
  7. rbelyell

rbelyell SC Top Veteran

May 14, 2013
    NY Mtns
    rx1 for WA+low light and rd1 with summarit 50 (75mm fov) or summarit 75 (110mm fov) for portraits. i really like this combo and can easily fit in my super small ona bowery bag.

for certain kinds of excursions i also like to carry one digital and one film--mostly my xpan. must fit in my bowery bag though!

• Like Like x 2
  8. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott SC All-Pro

Jan 3, 2012
    Troy, NY
    Luke,

You're right on all counts.

I fear the three-camera solution.

And I love the fact that the two cameras share very similar operating schemes.

Cheers, Jock

9. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott SC All-Pro

Jan 3, 2012
    Troy, NY
    It actually sounds like a pretty neat set-up, but I am sticking my fingers in my ears and saying, "I'm not listening . . . I'm not listening. . . ."

Cheers, Jock

10. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott SC All-Pro

Jan 3, 2012
    Troy, NY
    Bill,

I think the G12 is a marvelous little camera. My son has hijacked mine for making YouTube videos for gamers.

The LX100 is very similar in size to the G12; the body is a bit smaller and the lens is bigger. It's like a G12 that has been to finishing school.

Cheers, Jock

11. demiro

demiro Serious Compacts For Life

Dec 15, 2011
    I don't blame you. No doubt the LX100 and FZ200 are more capable as a duo than my frugal foursome can hope to be. I had the FZ1000 and G7X together for a long moment and thought they might be all I needed. Now they have both been adopted by other users...

12. donlaw

donlaw SC All-Pro

Sep 14, 2012
    Texas
    Don
    Three is not a round number, has to be four or more...

• Like Like x 2
  13. ivoire

ivoire SC All-Pro

Dec 3, 2011
    chicago burbs
    mike
    I got hooked on the 3 camera solution... RX1 for low light and ease of use, DP2M for detail, detail, detail, and EP5 w/45-175 to reach out and touch something. They all fit in a reasonably small bag.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Archiver

Archiver SC Top Veteran

Jul 11, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    In the Serious Compacts flickr group, I started a topic about a similar thing about four years ago:

https://www.flickr.com/groups/seriouscompacts/discuss/72157623608642818/

Back in those days, I carried the Ricoh GRD III and something else, perhaps the Sigma DP1 or DP2, or the 5D Mark II. As time went by, it became the GRD III and Leica M9. Then the Ricoh GXR came along, then the Fuji X100, the Olympus EM-5, and it went on and on.

Right now, I most often put the Ricoh GR and Panasonic LX7 in my bag, although I use the M9 with a 50mm lens on more dedicated photo walks. At other times, it's the Panasonic LX7 and GM1 with the Olympus 25/1.8. Wide angle, longer reach, and a fast prime on a larger sensor. At other times, it's the GR and GM1. Sometimes I stop and think how lucky we are, and how lucky I am, to have all these choices of cameras.

• Like Like x 1
  15. eno789

eno789 SC Regular

Dec 21, 2011
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    Right now, Sony A7 + NEX 5N work great for me. I usually put tele or macro lens on the 5N, for the reach, DoF, and touch screen. The A7 is used more for landscape. All my adapted SLR lenses can be used on both, for different field of view.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Chris2500dk

Chris2500dk SC Top Veteran

Dec 22, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Current two camera solution: Ricoh GR and Sony A6000 with 50mm f1.8 OSS.
    Seems to cover all my needs, at least for now.

• Like Like x 1