The unintended illusion

Discussion in 'Stroll Photography' started by summerkl, Aug 13, 2015.

1. summerkl

summerkl SC Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    Vancouver, Canada
    Kevin
    Whilst (I've always wanted to use that word) strolling in Vancouver's Yaletown area, I took this photo of the shadows on the wall.

It wasn't until I was processing the photo that I noticed the unintended optical illusion.

20367421258_5847f3bd2d_b.

• Like Like x 1
  2. What is the illusion?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Richard

Richard SC Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Marlow, UK
    The illusion eludes me also alas.

-R

4. summerkl

summerkl SC Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    Vancouver, Canada
    Kevin
    For me, the right side of the image looks shorter than the left side of the image. However, they are the same height, it is the converging lines playing tricks with your eyes.

5. porchard

porchard SC Veteran

Feb 24, 2013
    Devon, UK
    Yes, got it!:thumbup: But the illusion is MUCH more evident if one moves the image into an editing program, so that it can be viewed in isolation on an uncluttered screen.

Thanks for posting...

6. I get it, but this is more of an issue with the camera not being square on to the subject, (the wall).

7. pniev

pniev Student for life

Jun 10, 2013
    Nice catch! You'll see similar optical illusions with things/people closer to you vs further away (that illusion was used in Lord of the Rings)

8. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I saw it quite clearly on a computer when I was signed out (white background). Signed on with the dark theme and a gray background, the effect is negligible.

9. taqtaq

taqtaq SC Regular

May 31, 2015
    Espoo, Finland
    Tuukka
    I think you are talking about forced perspective (making Gandalf look taller than the hobbits?), while I think Kevin is talking about Hering illusion.

On the topic, I didn't see it first, but now that I got it I find it cool.

10. summerkl

summerkl SC Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    Vancouver, Canada
    Kevin
    Thanks Tuukka, I had no idea there was a technical term for it. I merely posted for the fun of it cuz I think its cool too.

Luke, you are absolutely right, much more prominent against a white background or after a beer or two :)