1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

The Weekly Challenge 23 - 28 March.

Discussion in 'Photo Challenges' started by bilzmale, Mar 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bilzmale

bilzmale Super Moderator Emeritus

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    Paul (pdh) has set the next theme:-

I'll have to be brief as I'm im hospital. Writing this on my android in the middle of a sleep deprived night
    having just had a kidney stone whipped out.
    So ... Theme for next week is irony.​

A definition might be helpful here.

i·ro·ny -  [ahy-ruh-nee] noun, plural -nies.

1. the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning: the irony of her reply, “How nice!” when I said I had to work all weekend.

2. Literature .
    a. a technique of indicating, as through character or plot development, an intention or attitude opposite to that which is actually or ostensibly stated.
    b. (especially in contemporary writing) a manner of organizing a work so as to give full expression to contradictory or complementary impulses, attitudes, etc., especially as a means of indicating detachment from a subject, theme, or emotion.

Yes this is less straightforward but I have confidence in the membership here.

• Like Like x 6
  2. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Thanks Bill.
    InterpretatioNs can be creative or quite literal. So for instance an ironic contrast or juxtaposition ...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    • Like Like x 4
  4. pictogramax

pictogramax SC Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2011
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Underfoot

An oldie from me also.
    I have no idea how those letters ended scattered on the pavement, but remember reflecting on it at the time - what if it was a meaning of life, left for everyone to see, only to get trampled underfoot each passing day?

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/maxjaguar/2909935412/" title="UNDERFOOT by Milan Jovanovic /pictogramax, on Flickr">"1000" height="750" alt="UNDERFOOT"></a>

And get well soon!

• Like Like x 6
  5. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    From a fellow kidney stone sufferer, I can do irony...:smile:

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/lightmancer/1967498921/" title="Getaway car by Lightmancer, on Flickr">"750" height="563" alt="Getaway car"></a>

• Like Like x 5
  6. stillshunter

stillshunter Super Moderator Emeritus

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under
    Mark
    One of the valued fallen in Arlington

5741067915_f4df417b02_b.
    Garden of the dead by stillshunter, on Flickr

P.S. Ironic? Yes. But I might still change my mind as to my final submission....:blush:

• Like Like x 5
  7. christilou

christilou SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2010
    Sunny Frimley
    Food, Fags & Phone!

I spent some time wondering whether this fits the bill or not but the more I think the more tangled up I get so........

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  8. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    not too many entries ... oops ... well my excuse is that I was full of drugs and in a strange environment so perhaps I wasn't thinking straight when I suggested ... anyway, this is the image that I had in mind (what's left of it) when I suggested "irony" ...

20120222_1841-03-1.

• Like Like x 6
  9. apennathur

apennathur SC Regular

Feb 4, 2012
    El Paso, Texas
    What Cheer!

Was recently passing through Interstate 80, and saw this sign.

Didn't visit the town, so can't confirm the sign, or comment on what aspects of the town lend cheer if any, but, from the edge of town, sure looked and felt dreary to me, with the barren trees, the dry landscape, and the cloudy day.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/pennathur/7017571743/" title="What Cheer by Pennathur, on Flickr"> 7017571743_b2399e1f8e_b. "1024" height="709" alt="What Cheer"></a>

• Like Like x 6
  10. arachide

arachide SC Regular

Feb 15, 2012
    • Like Like x 6
  11. bilzmale

bilzmale Super Moderator Emeritus

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    This thread is now closed - visit HERE to cast your vote.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.