1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

The Weekly Challenge 30 Mar - 4 April.

Discussion in 'Photo Challenges' started by bilzmale, Mar 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bilzmale

bilzmale Super Moderator Emeritus

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    Arachide has set us a very accessible task for the current WC.

What about a challenge called "Close to Home"? Photos should be taken near where you live.​

Over to you good members!

• Like Like x 1
  2. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    OK, I'm in: This is a small shopping mall near where I live, and its where I was waiting patiently for the store to open so I could get my new iPad :)

X100.

Jesmond: Empty by kyte50, on Flickr

• Like Like x 5
  3. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    ... double post. sometimes I get a weird response in Firefox...

4. Nuskyn

Nuskyn SC Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    @Gelderland - the Netherlands
    Jeroen
    7002276723_5f4a87eab3_z.

This is the view from my backyard..

• Like Like x 13
  5. Alf

Alf SC Top Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
    • Like Like x 7
  6. texascbx

texascbx SC Veteran

Jul 10, 2010
    Canton Texas
    Ricky
    I took this last night in my front yard.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
  7. pictogramax

pictogramax SC Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2011
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Some 20 meters from my doorstep, a corner of my street:

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/maxjaguar/4131533343/" title="MIDNIGHT SUN - 03 by Milan Jovanovic /pictogramax, on Flickr">"1102" height="800" alt="MIDNIGHT SUN - 03"></a>

• Like Like x 11
  8. winginkris

winginkris SC Veteran

Dec 15, 2011
    Not much around my place to photograph. I had to get creative with Silver Efex Pro.
    7030230873_aa568a835e_b.
    DSCF3248 by Winginkris, on Flickr

• Like Like x 6
  9. winginkris

winginkris SC Veteran

Dec 15, 2011
    Beautiful photo! I so wish I lived where there was some countryside. My backyard has a view of an office building parking lot!

• Like Like x 1
  10. buebo

buebo SC Rookie

Jan 31, 2012
    • Like Like x 8
  11. Jules

Jules SC Regular

Feb 3, 2012
    Bremer Valley, Australia
    Julie-Anne
    Just down the road...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  12. woof

woof SC Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    This week I got a rare opportunity... hope you all will not mind me sharing a little of this experience.

The bell in the steeple of the North Church on the New Haven Green needed some repair... It's a beautiful old church built in Federal style by David Hoadley in 1814. In any event, the funeral peal clapper had pulled loose and it needed to be re-affixed. A friend of mine is one of the congregation and got permission to work with one of the staff to fix it. i got to tag along and take photos. The bell itself is interesting... an 1856 George H. Holbrook made at Medway Massachusetts. He was regarded as the foremost bell maker in America in his time. George's father was one Major George Holbrook - it is an interesting fact that Major Holbrook in early life had been an apprentice in the bell foundry and clock-making business to Paul Revere, of Revolutionary fame. As to the reputation of the Holbrook bells, they were everywhere celebrated. They were exhibited at the industrial exhibitions throughout the country, and came in competition with the bells of others, and always achieved the highest awards; and never, in a single instance, receiving any but the highest award.

In any even, upon climbing to the steeple, I determined to climb higher, yet another two to three stories above the bell. In a small room with windows all around I was confronted with a 360 degree view of New Haven. Some of the window glass is original and nearly opaque. But the windows facing First Church, also known as Center Church, were clear and relatively clean. This too is a historic church... the Congregation was established in 1639. The current First Church Church as depicted here was designed in Georgian style by architect Ithiel Town, and was built in 1812. The Center Church Crypt contains the identified remains of about 137 people, and the likely remains of over 1,000 that are unidentified. Sarah Rutherford Trowbridge has the oldest dated stone (1687) in the Crypt. I'll be visiting this in a week or so...

Here is a photo I took from North Church looking across to Center Church. This is one of a set that i will share in one of the architecture threads. The reflection in the window was by choice. I wish I'd "chosen" to shoot with a PL too just to see what the result would have given.

p157228815-5.

Here's a photo I did not take. If you look at the uppermost tier of windows just under the dome in the steeple, the two farthest away to the right side are the one through which i shot.

File:NorthChurchNewHavenGreen.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The series: https://www.photographerslounge.org/f22/north-church-new-haven-ct-green-8099/

Kind regards,

Seaain

• Like Like x 7
  13. snkenai

snkenai SC All-Pro

Oct 5, 2010
    kenai, AK
    Stephen Noel
    Some really amazing photos here. I don't have anything that is in this class.

14. nikki

nikki SC Top Veteran

Sep 12, 2011
    Dublin ,Ireland
    • Like Like x 5
  15. grebeman

grebeman Old Codgers Group

Jul 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    Herb Robert

A flower of Herb Robert, about 0.7" (18 mm) across, growing on the stone wall at the rear of my cottage (named Stonewalls).

Panasonic G1 with 150mm Kern Paillard f/4 C mount lens on 70mm of extension tubes.

Barrie

• Like Like x 3
  16. christilou

christilou SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2010
    Sunny Frimley
    Basingstoke Canal

This is just through the woods from where I live. We sometimes walk the dog here. Today it's been picture perfect but doesn't often look as lovely as this.

IMGP1950-4.

Pentax K-01, 35mm Macro Ltd.

• Like Like x 4
  17. photogfollett

photogfollett SC Regular

Feb 7, 2012
    Roseburg, Oregon
    John
    Our kiddie park which is normally packed during the day.

Park-at-night-LR_web.

• Like Like x 4
  18. Nuskyn

Nuskyn SC Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    @Gelderland - the Netherlands
    Jeroen
    Love the composition, the contrast and the overall light in this picture...

• Like Like x 1
  19. olli

olli Super Moderator Emeritus

Sep 28, 2010
    Metro Manila
    olli
    • Like Like x 3
  20. greyelm

greyelm SC Top Veteran

Oct 1, 2011
    London, England
    • Like Like x 1