The Weekly Challenge 4 - 9 November.

Discussion in 'Photo Challenges' started by bilzmale, Nov 4, 2011.

1. bilzmale

bilzmale Super Moderator Emeritus S.C. Charter Member Subscribing Member

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    Lightmancer (aka Bill) has set an interesting topic for us.

I've given it some thought and would like the next topic to be "Juxtaposition"

Juxtaposition is "the act of positioning close together or side by side". I look for humour in juxtaposition - two unusual things (or people) that come together by accident or design to form a pleasing whole. Contrast is often important, as is "visual dissonance" - the sort of thing that makes you laugh, or say "I'd never have expected that!"​

You might remember that Don (aka Streetshooter) set an Image Quest back in May-June along similar lines - you can find it HERE and also check the Gallery. It may help to check it out for ideas.

PS: The WC and IQ are quite separate and different so Juxtaposition is a perfectly fine theme and not a repeat.

• Like Like x 4
  2. AzPete

AzPete SC Veteran

Dec 24, 2010
    sorry for the questions. does it mean when you say side by side using two photos together to make one?
    im such a noob.
    thanks,

Pete

well after taking a look at Don's photos in the first post it looks like a no. dont worry all, ill get this eventually.

3. bilzmale

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    Pete the object of this exercise is to find juxtaposition in one scene - ie one image. Reading Don's thread and looking at the Gallery using the links above might make it clearer.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Sorry, yes, Bill's exactly right. One image only please, with two contrasting/conflicting elements that, brought together by accident or design - by chance or by the photographer, entertain or amuse.

• Like Like x 1
  5. AzPete

AzPete SC Veteran

Dec 24, 2010
    with a name like Bill you cant go wrong...thanks guys

• Like Like x 1
  6. woof

woof SC Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    I take a lot of architecture, and have been seeing how well the LX-5 will do with my usual workflow. I am increasingly attached to this little camera. Look at the dynamic range and especially how it has held detail in the highlights. I won't fib... this is a three shot bracket (hand held) at two stops apart... -2, 0, +2 with -1/3 exposure compensation. I was not looking for HDR "effect" just a wide range...

The following is intended to be a bit of an abstract, but it was also expressly intended as a juxtaposition between modern architecture and more traditional architecture. Among other things, it has a reflection of the traditional architecture in the window of the modern architecture... which was intentional. I tried both a polarized and non-polarized version and in the end felt that there is meaning in the reflection that informs or enhances an understanding of the juxtaposition. Anyway... it falls short of having a lot of humor as discussed by Bill, but I hope it remains a viable entry nonetheless ... kind regards,

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  7. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus S.C. Charter Member

Jul 12, 2010
    Philly, Pa
    Occupy Philly, GXR A12 28
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  8. summerkl

summerkl SC Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    Vancouver, Canada
    Kevin
    Part of this exhibit was red umbrellas hanging from the ceiling. Only when I got home did I notice the sunlight streaming across the floor - Volia - juxtaposition!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  9. kathyh

kathyh SC Top Veteran S.C. Charter Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Ottawa, Canada
    Kathy
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/54936360@N04/6317997949/" title="Stalin by kh1942, on Flickr">[​IMG]"777" height="1000" alt="Stalin"></a>

M9

• Like Like x 6
  10. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus S.C. Charter Member

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/otra/5895042785/" title="7-11-15-Edit-2-Edit.jpg by BBW: BB Wylie Walden, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1024" height="680" alt="7-11-15-Edit-2-Edit.jpg"></a>

X100

• Like Like x 4
  11. retow

retow SC All-Pro S.C. Charter Member

Jul 24, 2010
    GXR with 50 Sonnar

• Like Like x 6
  12. Booka

Booka SC Regular

Jul 5, 2011
    Sweden
    A quick photo opportunity while walking down the street in greece. I think it fits into the category fairly well. Taken with a canon s5.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 9
  13. krugorg

krugorg SC All-Pro

Sep 26, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Kyle Krug
    I am such a newb, I am not quite sure whether this even qualifies, but here it goes:

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/krugorg/6318704237/" title="Classic Huge Boot Wedding Photo by krugorg, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1008" height="680" alt="Classic Huge Boot Wedding Photo"></a>

The classic wedding photograph - party sitting on the world's largest boot.

Taken with Oly E-P3 and 12mm during a day trip to Red Wing, Minnesota.

• Like Like x 5
  14. pictor

pictor SC All-Pro S.C. Charter Member

Jul 14, 2010
  15. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    I can see already that this is gonna be a tough one... great entries! I really like this theme also! Now to find something fitting...

16. ajramirez

ajramirez SC All-Pro S.C. Charter Member Subscribing Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    Antonio
    Barbería

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/ramirezaponte/6062167193/" title="Barberia by ramirezaponte, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1024" height="1024" alt="Barberia"></a>

Cheers,

Antonio

• Like Like x 8
  17. bilzmale

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    A little over 8 hours to post - be in it to win it!

• Like Like x 3
  18. AzPete

AzPete SC Veteran

Dec 24, 2010
    The girl and the bear

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  19. Briar

Briar SC All-Pro

Oct 27, 2010
    Scotland
    Karen
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/briar34/6208624719/" title="Edinburgh by Briar34, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1024" height="768" alt="Edinburgh"></a>

GRD3

• Like Like x 7
  20. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Okay, one from me:

[​IMG]"600" height="412" alt="Monsoon 2"></a>[/IMG]

• Like Like x 5