The X100 has me shopping for old Minoltas

This is out of the camera or did you post process? I just want to know if I can get that tonal range. Your processing is amazing btw whether it is or not :D

Thanks! No such thing as "out of camera" with me, Kristen:) All my shots are PPd a lot, because it's a big part of fun to me.

Basically, when I shoot, I'm not into capturing the exact "real thing" in front of me, but rather a "potential" I see and "reveal" later at home.

I'm not an experienced film shooter but I did notice the different tonal range in film, especially handling of highlights. My films are developed by an old guy who does it as a payed service for a few of us here, and scanned later on my Epson 3170 Photo scanner (it's an oldie, an predecessor of V500 and V700, I believe).

Well, after a lot more fiddling with the XD11, it's done. I gave up on it. But I like the model / line, and I read elsewhere here about keh.com... so I went there and found an "EX" condition XD5 and went for it. That, plus an MC 55mm 1.7 lens was just a hair over $100 with shipping. Then I went to cameraleather.com and ordered a green leatherette kit for it, which was only $16 including shipping. In a week, I should have a gorgeous, functional old camera.

Well, after a lot more fiddling with the XD11, it's done. I gave up on it.......In a week, I should have a gorgeous, functional old camera.

You made the right decision (or at least the one I would have made). If you're not, by nature, a fix it up guy (or gal), it's best to just pay a bit more and avoid the headaches of the unknown camera that looks like a good deal. And it helps to support the people who do know how to fix up the cameras and keep us shooting rather than playing repairman. I wanna see that rig when you get it!

Actually I LOVE to fix things, and I have a good set of small tools leftover from the cell phone repair job days. But with a 3 yr old and a wife, I don't really have time or room to do as much as I'd like to. I have to keep both bicycles on the road (70's phillips just blew out its bottom bracket) and everything else in the house running, and there is always something more pressing than tinkering with an old camera. For roughly $50 more than "prospecting on craigslist" prices, I got 2 peices of tested gear in excellent shape. At this point in my life that's a bargain.

And hell, I still have the XD11. I could still crack it open one day when I have time and see what's in there. The back film chamber looks spotless, which was a nice surprise. And what if it was just a coroded battery wire...? I can do that in my sleep. So I'll hang onto it and the ugly lenses, just in case. Meanwhile I wanna start shooting some rolls, so it can't get here fast enough.

Thanks! No such thing as "out of camera" with me, Kristen:) All my shots are PPd a lot, because it's a big part of fun to me.

Basically, when I shoot, I'm not into capturing the exact "real thing" in front of me, but rather a "potential" I see and "reveal" later at home.

I'm not an experienced film shooter but I did notice the different tonal range in film, especially handling of highlights. My films are developed by an old guy who does it as a payed service for a few of us here, and scanned later on my Epson 3170 Photo scanner (it's an oldie, an predecessor of V500 and V700, I believe).

I have that same kind of vision, like seeing stories in what I frame up and then using whatever technique to convey them more completely. Not so sure how good I am at that but it's all a work in progress. The camera is framing, exposure.. all that but since in camera processing is all about how their software handles it, I prefer to use my software and process it. With film and depending on the camera and how it renders, sometimes it's just a little tweaking. I don't have a scanner though so while I am gathering up info on developing because I don't have an 'old guy' available to me :D I'm having to look into scanning options too.

Well, after a lot more fiddling with the XD11, it's done. I gave up on it. But I like the model / line, and I read elsewhere here about keh.com... so I went there and found an "EX" condition XD5 and went for it. That, plus an MC 55mm 1.7 lens was just a hair over $100 with shipping. Then I went to cameraleather.com and ordered a green leatherette kit for it, which was only $16 including shipping. In a week, I should have a gorgeous, functional old camera.

You can not go wrong with KEH, have my eye on a lens there but.. a bit out of my range. I might see if they will take some trades in addition to $. Luke is right, it does help to support places like that so that they stay open for people like us. :)

Agree about KEH support. Assuming they send me stuff in what I, too, would call "ex" condition, I'm going to be a big fan. It will be hard to stay away. Anyone know roughly how often they get new stuff... is it monthly or like weekly?

KEH support is great. If you have a problem with anything, call them, they will accept your return and pay shipping but overall what you get is better than the rating.

Well well WELL. I got to thinking this weekend while my daughter was napping... the two lenses I got from craigslist have fungus in them, and are essentially not worth anything. And I used to open cell phones for years, so I might just be able to get a lens open and clean it out. And if I botched it, well, -shrug- it wasn't worth anything anyway, right?

I was in that Rokkor X 50mm 1.7 lens in 5 minutes tops. It was much, much easier than I thought it would be. I got to the affected lens, used high quality optics cleaner solution and a microfiber towel that came with the glasses I paid too much for, and the lens is now almost completely spotless - totally useable and clear. Then I did the Vivtar zoom, which took even less time. Both are now bright and clear and should shoot just fine. So I feel better about the money I spent at least.

Package arrived today from keh.com. XD5 and the MC series 55mm 1.7 lens.

8051182203_41d098da13_b.jpg

DSCF9057 by gordopuggy, on Flickr

8051188486_4226ba9a13_b.jpg

DSCF9053 by gordopuggy, on Flickr

Cracked shoulder, but ... -shrug-
8051188384_6e3019f447_b.jpg

DSCF9055 by gordopuggy, on Flickr

Full set, including the two rescued lenses.
8051182111_3fbed94c5f_b.jpg

DSCF9059 by gordopuggy, on Flickr

Loaded a roll of color 400, and have been shooting it while noting which lens, f stop, etc for each shot so I can hopefully learn a lot from the test roll about the camera, meter, and lenses.

I was VERY happy, also, to learn that the older 55mm rokkor MC will focus at about 16 inches out, whereas the newer 50mm rokkor MD needs close to 3 feet. That 55mm is in pristine condition, it looks like no one ever touched it.

The feel of that 55 MC is so wonderful. Focus ring has a great slide to it, very easy and yet secure, and the big gnurled metal detents just mate up with my fingertips perfectly. The 50 MD is a little harder to turn, and once you've handled the metal focus ring the rubber doesn't feel as nice. I sat there watching the presidential debate last night, ironically focusing on things to distract myself.

Back