TheCameraStoreTV Hands-on preview of Nikon DF

lol. I like his near-to-the-end conclusion

"This is a retro camera truly. It's an amalgam of a bunch of other Nikon cameras" like a D4 chip, standard DSLR lower half, etc. :p

Also, I love the end "let's talk about video. It has no video"

TCS has the best video reviews right now, IMO.

Joe McNally, Lynn Goldsmith and Bob Krist on Shooting with the Nikon Df:
Joe McNally, Lynn Goldsmith and Bob Krist on Shooting with the Nikon Df

I watched the Brian Smith w/ A7R and amazed w/ the images esp it is not his normal shots but he used to be photojournalist... Then I watched entertaining camerastore video. Final one was from Bob Krist which had a lot of nostalgia talk, but nothing fulfilling... I remembered the Kirk Tuck and LL articles. He is a NG Traveler photographer who won multiple awards as a travel photographer. I took 2 classes from him so I have seen his images and would expected more like Brian Smith images... He was shooting w/ Nikon apsc because camera+lenses were smaller and lighter... I saw him using nex also... It looked like Nikon marketing was talking on the video...

I can't see any point to that camera; apart from it having a look that some people will like.

Check the D4 sensor performance over at DP Review and you might find an answer why some might want it. It outperforms even the best at higher iso and almost embarrasses them at really high iso. Chris said it in the video, you get a D610 with a D4 sensor.

It looks like a cool concept, but still so chunky! All those square edges show how much volume today's rounded DSLR's actually shave off.

A far better preview than another that shall go nameless, where the click-hungry poster basically read the Df's spec sheet for 15 minutes, and had no camera on hand at all.

Check the D4 sensor performance over at DP Review and you might find an answer why some might want it. It outperforms even the best at higher iso and almost embarrasses them at really high iso. Chris said it in the video, you get a D610 with a D4 sensor.

That isn't apparent here, other than the D4 having a flatter Canon-like dynamic range curve whereas the Sony sensors have their typical steeper curve (from a higher starting point).

Nikon D610 vs Nikon D800 vs Nikon D4

Of course, given the nature of this forum there will be some selective bias towards small cameras. That being said, I could easily see it being a fun camera to use. OTOH, if I were to spend this kind of money, I'd go the D800 route.

i love the chunky squareness
i jsut wish it were 2/3 the size. then id lust it. but instead i just enjoy downsized photos of it...:)

id def get this over a d800/e
i like the blockiness and the d4 sensor more than the d800 sensor.. if only for file size! lol

*desperately tries to stop looking at thunderbolt external drives...sigh*

i love the chunky squareness...

I'm going on record as also liking the design. I browsed the DSLRs section of B&H and most are rounded. Next to those the Df stands out and it also has a more elegance presence. Here's what I think - Nikon could use the Df square'ish design as the new design pattern for its cameras going forward, both DSLRs and eventual larger sensor mirrorless. Of course, "pros" who use them on a daily basis may disagree and may prefer the rounded designs for ergonomic reasons.

i love the chunky squareness
i jsut wish it were 2/3 the size. then id lust it. but instead i just enjoy downsized photos of it...:)

Don't know about the size, but its weight is a touch lighter than my K-5, which is a relatively light DSLR body. Reviews are suggesting it handles light despite looking blocky, if that makes any sense…

Back