there aren't enough pictures of great bottoms on the forum

I thought this was a vale...? Now it's a bottom...? Well, you've done much for my vocabulary if nothing else... heh.

woof!

oh no Vales and Bottoms are quite different

Ummm... hmmm... that's not my longstanding understanding.

The following has it the way I understand it... bottom as in bottomland, ie: the bottom of a valley, usually associate with a river.

It's probably a transatlantic thing Jason. Bottom as used by pdh referring to a valley bottom, the word sometimes being used in a place name. One's imagination does the rest.

I've heard "vales" in reference to "valleys", but I've never heard of "bottoms".

Definition - "Bottom: Low-lying alluvial land adjacent to a river. Often used in the plural. Also called bottomland."

Definition: "Valley: 1. An elongated lowland between ranges of mountains, hills, or other uplands, often having a river or stream running along the bottom.
2. An extensive area of land drained or irrigated by a river system."

pdh, I don't know if you were kidding, but I was and am pretty sure that a vale and bottom are either synonymous or at least closely related terms... as in, a vale, if it includes a river, as it often does, will also have a "bottom" or bottom-land adjacent to the river.

woof! (probably being too pedantic) woof!

We definitely have "bottoms" here in the USA - the land kind, I mean. Bottom land is a term that I've heard used quite often, though more often in the Ohio, West Virginia and some of the more southern areas. Just wanted to throw that in for my buddy, Jason.:D

We definitely have "bottoms" here in the USA - the land kind, I mean. Bottom land is a term that I've heard used quite often, though more often in the Ohio, West Virginia and some of the more southern areas. Just wanted to throw that in for my buddy, Jason.:D

I'm from Florida and now live in Alabama. I've rarely heard the term 'vale' used except from a few northerners. Lots of towns with 'vale' in them, especially from the north or Midwest areas. I guess it might be a more specific term looking at wiki's definition of 'vale'. I live in the Tennessee Valley. I've never heard it referenced as 'vale' or those who live near the river 'bottomland' or 'bottoms'. Again, I'm still confused, lol.

Back