There can be only one...

ShawnG

Regular
I'm set on getting the GR, but I have to ask... You can use one other camera only for the rest of the year and your only choices are:

Pentax K30 w/18-135 OR Olympus OMD w/Pan 20, Oly 45 and Oly 40-150.

Decisions, decisions...

I've owned both of those set-ups and I must say that is NOT a fair comparison. The Oly set-up is more versatile, but way more expensive. The K30 with that WR lens can NOT be beat when comparing apples to apples, but you're comparing it to 2 (!) very good prime lenses and a decent (but throwaway) zoom lens.

The K-30 is a ton of camera for around $500-600 and the OMD is still around $900 I believe for body only. You can almost add the 18-135 to the Pentax for the same price as the OMD body alone. What do you like to shoot? Is weather resistance important to you? If it is, your lens choices for the Oly are NOT weather sealed. I think we need more info to help you make an informed decision.

I do already have the 45 and 40-150. If going K30 I'd sell those for a prime, while going OMD I'd just need the 20 (though I've heard of some banding issues with the OMD). Weather resistance would be a bonus, but not a deal-breaker.

My shooting style really varies, but I can say I prefer b&w a bit more than color. If I had to choose I'd say street (GR) along with some portraits and landscapes.

well, I can't really answer for you, but for me, I like to shoot tele and macro. Macro has great options in both camps, but tele on Pentax means big and heavy, and there are few option in m43, but light, cheap and excellent all happily coincide (a big rarity). IF (and that a very big if) I were only shooting the range of 18-135 AND shooting shallow DOF shots were not a big deal for me, I'd GLADLY keep the Pentax and pocket a ton of money. Actually, for the Oly set-up you're comparing, you really should add a Pentax prime and then the decision making is just further muddled (or clarified). Does the sensor size, DOF or crop factor affect your decision?

The shutter sound of the K30 has not been missed since I sold it. It is loud.

The K30 feels great in hand. The nice deep grip fits my hand perfectly and made it feel like an extension of my hand. To get a similar feel with the OMD, I had to buy the $250 accessory grip (shame on you Olympus). It effectively makes the Olympus twice the cost of the Pentax.

The 5 axis IBIS of the Olympus is really pretty amazing and I missed it when I made the switch to Pentax....I'm glad to have it back.

I like shooting shallow DOF shots, too. The bigger sensor of the Pentax makes it easier if all other factors are equal. But they are not. The wide apertures of the m43 prime lenses are unmatched in the Pentax lineup except in a few very pricey exceptions, so with what you are comparing the Olympus actually would give you more control of DOF.

hope that all helps. They're both great cameras. That Pentax and one lens you can really use in any situation. If you want to spend more, the Oly is superior in most ways.

Back