Pentax Thick As A Brick

Yeats

All-Pro
Name
Chris
k01_brick.jpg

k01.jpg

[video=youtube;BV-ASc0qkrM]

yeats: when i read your title, ian anderson was the first thing that came to mind. brings back some good 60's memories.

the second thing i thought of was an old argus C3. they were even more brick-like than this pentax, but not by much :)

snkenai:

K01_M50.jpg

coyote: Believe me, since I ordered the K-01, it's been playing thru my head almost constantly... :eek:

John: my pockets aren't that big... nor deep!

how are the ergos on that brick. I've kind of warmed to it's unique homeliness, but I can't imagine it feels great in the hand. I know the sensor is good, but if it doesn't feel good, I wouldn't use it much.....maybe as a tripod queen, perhaps. I like Steve's set-up on the focus rail.

It feels nice in my hand; well-built and grippy and chunky, kinda like driving a 1980's Volvo. In terms of how it handles during operation, I'm still clumsy, as the UI and button placement differs so from the LX7, the camera to which I am most accustomed to at this point.

I bought it because I've got some goodish legacy glass I'd like to use, I doubt the XS 40/2.8 lens will see much time on the camera.... and I want to re-get a DA 15m Ltd and slap that baby on the K-01. :D Gotta let the wallet reload, though. :(

how are the ergos on that brick. I've kind of warmed to it's unique homeliness, but I can't imagine it feels great in the hand. I know the sensor is good, but if it doesn't feel good, I wouldn't use it much.....maybe as a tripod queen, perhaps. I like Steve's set-up on the focus rail.
Not like anything else, I have ever used. To pick up and handle, it feels a bit awkward, until you put it to work. Then after a very short time it works with you (after getting the settings, like YOU like it). And a great "tripod queen" it is! Especially with manual lenses. The "peaking" works as it should. First let me qualify that. With a "M" series lens and the aperture tang cut off, ..... The peaking shows the DOF, as you change the aperture. No jumping through normal Pentax green button hoops. So I assigned cycling, "peaking" to the green button. So it is there when you want it or not if you don't..

Yeah, it's funny... The K-01 seems a but odd in hand at first but then very quickly "disappears," which is a good sign that the ergonomics work. The outer finish is fairly grippy, which helps. My right hand curls around the grip area perfectly. The menu system is all familiar Pentax - but somewhat simplified compared to cameras like the K-5. Its appearance doesn't bother me but that's a matter of personal taste.

Yeah, it's funny... The K-01 seems a but odd in hand at first but then very quickly "disappears," which is a good sign that the ergonomics work. The outer finish is fairly grippy, which helps. My right hand curls around the grip area perfectly. The menu system is all familiar Pentax - but somewhat simplified compared to cameras like the K-5. Its appearance doesn't bother me but that's a matter of personal taste.

I look at my K-01 and I think "picture-taking machine" rather than "camera".

Back