1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Thoughts on a Winter PAD theme

Discussion in 'Image Quest' started by TheRubySusan, Oct 18, 2013.

1. TheRubySusan

TheRubySusan SC Top Veteran

Sep 2, 2013
    Henry, IL
    Ruby
    Since 2008, every winter I have vowed to get my catalogue up-to-date and to systematically work through post processing tutorials instead of pushing sliders around almost at random. Every winter Seasonal Affective Disorder stops me in my tracks. If it's attractive to others, I'd like to see a PAD for December, January, or February that was inclusive of photos dug out of the "archives" and freshly edited as well as photos taken during the month.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    January seems like it would be a natural calendar-wise for starting anew with some fresh processing takes on old photos. I think December is just too busy with the holidays to get a big enough group to commit.

You can count me in.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Briar

Briar SC All-Pro

Oct 27, 2010
    Scotland
    Karen
    That sounds a great idea. Count me in for a January challenge.

• Like Like x 1
  4. snkenai

snkenai SC All-Pro

Oct 5, 2010
    kenai, AK
    Stephen Noel
    We had one of those. SIJ, Remember?:smile:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Briar

Briar SC All-Pro

Oct 27, 2010
    Scotland
    Karen
    Nah this is different. It encourages you to recycle old pictures with new post processing. I like it. Could be a cure for GAS. Grumpy Polly might even like this!

• Like Like x 1
  6. donlaw

donlaw SC All-Pro

Sep 14, 2012
    Texas
    Don
    I'm in on that one too. I have a large selection of film images I haven't scanned in yet. Would be a good opportunity to look back at som eof those images.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013
    I expect to see lots of neat images from this so I'm all for it

pity I don't have Silver Efex, Nik & the like so I'll just have to muddle through as normal

• Like Like x 1
  8. TheRubySusan

Sep 2, 2013
    Henry, IL
    Ruby
    I hear you! I bought a scanner two years ago specifically to scan slides and negatives. I've never gotten it out of the box!

9. TheRubySusan

Sep 2, 2013
    Henry, IL
    Ruby
    All I can say is - Huzzah! And thanks!

10. staticantics

staticantics SC Regular

Oct 15, 2013
    Central California
    Chris
    Unfortunately I lost most of my catalog of digital images made before July of 2006 when a seeking arm on a USB drive failed and shattered the disk plate. I was in the middle of backing up the drive. I still have the drive tucked away in a box to remind me to backup in two places. One local, one remote. :frown:

However, I've taken a lot of photos since then and this sounds like a great challenge! :thumbup:

• Like Like x 2
  11. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Could be interesting. I dont venture out much in summer, I dont do heat at all... spending it playing with a scanner might just be the go. I've been promising myself to scan the old family photographs as well, so two tasks in one, perhaps.

• Like Like x 1
  12. TheRubySusan

Sep 2, 2013
    Henry, IL
    Ruby
    I'm bringing this back up in the active posts (I hope) as a reminder for January, if people are still so inclined.

13. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Well... gee.... I did not remember that I had already responded to this. Where's my brain? :( Also, the scanner isn't happening. It refuses to play with Mavericks and Epson has no plans to bring out a new driver so that it will. Thanks for nothing, Epson. So now, I have TWO scanners which are unusable with my current OS. I'm going to get rid of them and get one of those that just scan to an SD card. Over it.

14. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I hadn't forgotten. I'm also concocting (sp?) a contest/giveaway for December to help us all get through the winter doldrums.

• Like Like x 1
  15. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Sure. Could we use old DSLR photos as well? My old *ist D was pretty small. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    Most of my shots I've been sharing here lately have been with my wee K-5iis. Small is a state of mind.

• Like Like x 1