Time Mag names RX100 as a invention on the year

Discussion in 'Sony RX100 Forum' started by donlaw, Nov 5, 2012.

1. donlaw

donlaw SC All-Pro

Sep 14, 2012
  2. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    hmmmmmm. A camera that takes photos with a little bit less "noise" than the ones that preceded it is a great invention? That is pure crazy.

That indoor cloud is WAY cooler!
  3. Andrewteee

Andrewteee SC All-Pro

Jul 8, 2010
  4. petemasty

petemasty SC Regular

May 24, 2011
    wiltshire, UK
    Have to say it's a wholly inaccurate little article. 1" sensor (2.5cm). now readers of the article will think the sensor in it is huge!. Only 20% slimmer than a digital SLR? surely not, surely more than that!

well its nice that its being 'bigged up' I suppose.
  5. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    I do agree that it's a huge leap forward in consumer camera development, probably the biggest leap since m4/3. Maybe even bigger in the sense that you can now carry a camera with DSLR-like performance (in most situations) in your pants and really have it with you at all times without thinking about it.

But ofcourse, the camera world as a whole isn't really THAT important, in the big scheme of things...
  6. Pelao

Pelao SC All-Pro

Jul 11, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    An award that stretches my understanding of 'invention'. It seems like a good camera, but I am not sure I see the invention aspect.

It makes me wonder are we in an invention slump, or is Time simply pandering to advertising dollars?
    Cynical me; they would never chase dollars over being an informative source of news.:eek:
    • Like Like x 1
  7. lenshoarder

lenshoarder SC Veteran

Mar 7, 2012
    "20% slimmer than your average digital SLR". What DSLRs are they comparing it to?
  8. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    maybe they mean the thickness / depth is 20% of the average DSLR's?
  9. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    That's just odd. It's a nice camera but hardly revolutionary. Must have been a slow year for new tech.
  10. Boid

Boid SC All-Pro

Dec 15, 2011
    Bangalore, India
    I'd buy a "drifting fish farm" over the Rx100 any day.
  11. lenshoarder

lenshoarder SC Veteran

Mar 7, 2012
    I like the solar water distiller. That has the potential to change a lot of lives for the better. I'm thinking about getting one for emergencies. I have access to plenty of ocean water. Not so much potable water.
    • Like Like x 2