Time Mag names RX100 as a invention on the year

Discussion in 'Sony RX100 Forum' started by donlaw, Nov 5, 2012.

1. donlaw

donlaw SC All-Pro Subscribing Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Texas
    Don
  2. Luke

Luke Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    hmmmmmm. A camera that takes photos with a little bit less "noise" than the ones that preceded it is a great invention? That is pure crazy.

That indoor cloud is WAY cooler!

3. Andrewteee

Andrewteee SC All-Pro

Jul 8, 2010
    Uh huh, sure.

4. petemasty

petemasty SC Regular

May 24, 2011
    wiltshire, UK
    Have to say it's a wholly inaccurate little article. 1" sensor (2.5cm). now readers of the article will think the sensor in it is huge!. Only 20% slimmer than a digital SLR? surely not, surely more than that!

well its nice that its being 'bigged up' I suppose.

5. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    I do agree that it's a huge leap forward in consumer camera development, probably the biggest leap since m4/3. Maybe even bigger in the sense that you can now carry a camera with DSLR-like performance (in most situations) in your pants and really have it with you at all times without thinking about it.

But ofcourse, the camera world as a whole isn't really THAT important, in the big scheme of things...

6. Pelao

Pelao SC All-Pro

Jul 11, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Stephen
    An award that stretches my understanding of 'invention'. It seems like a good camera, but I am not sure I see the invention aspect.

It makes me wonder are we in an invention slump, or is Time simply pandering to advertising dollars?
    Cynical me; they would never chase dollars over being an informative source of news.:eek:

• Like Like x 1
  7. lenshoarder

lenshoarder SC Veteran

Mar 7, 2012
    "20% slimmer than your average digital SLR". What DSLRs are they comparing it to?

8. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    maybe they mean the thickness / depth is 20% of the average DSLR's?

9. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Lexington, Virginia
    Steve
    That's just odd. It's a nice camera but hardly revolutionary. Must have been a slow year for new tech.

10. Boid

Boid SC All-Pro

Dec 15, 2011
    Bangalore, India
    Rajiv
    I'd buy a "drifting fish farm" over the Rx100 any day.

11. lenshoarder

lenshoarder SC Veteran

Mar 7, 2012
    I like the solar water distiller. That has the potential to change a lot of lives for the better. I'm thinking about getting one for emergencies. I have access to plenty of ocean water. Not so much potable water.

• Like Like x 2