To our friends in Texas - please check in! Wildfires and drought.

I used to live down in Austin from 1998 to 2002. It's a pretty place but the traffic was terrible. I assume it's still just as bad?

We had a home in Dripping Springs out by the Salt Lick BBQ in the country.

I hope all down there are safe.

Chad, thanks for checking in and I am relieved to hear that you are AOK, please keep us apprised.

I visited Austin way too many years ago and enjoyed it. I may even have visited Bastrop, I know our friends took us to a park with a river through it...though I am sure there are many such places. Ricky - our friends lived in Dripping Springs, too! They had a beautiful place - we went birding and hiking...and swimming in what they referred to as "the grotto" beneath a waterfall. This was about 25 years ago.

Texas is such a huge state and so diverse in its terrain and wildlife. Please everyone keep us posted. Good suggestion, Chad regarding donating.

I used to live down in Austin from 1998 to 2002. It's a pretty place but the traffic was terrible. I assume it's still just as bad?

We had a home in Dripping Springs out by the Salt Lick BBQ in the country.

I hope all down there are safe.

Ricky,

I guess it is all relative to where you live but yes, traffic can be tough on Mopac and 35. We live close in, right by Zilker Park so it isn't an issue for us. Dripping Springs is pretty country for sure and I am overdue for a trip out to Salt Lick. There is a new place in town called Franklin BBQ that is making a serious run for best BBQ in town. It is a trailer just off I-35 and is pretty damn amazing.

Chad

When we lived there, I drove a truck for Con-Way. I delivered freight all over Austin and ended my day out in Taylor or Giddings. The best BBQ I found was in Elgin. They would give it to you on butcher paper with crackers. I can't think of the name of the place offhand, but I delivered these plastic barrels of pig intestine casings to the place and they used them for making their own sausage. Delivered some stuff down in Bastrop too and that is a pretty place also. Hate to think of all those trees going up in flames.

Back