1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

today's book bargain ...

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by pdh, Jul 17, 2012.

1. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    • Like Like x 4
  2. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    and this one arrived today ... Listed as used but quite obviously brand new, £8 including (very quick) delivery from Italy ...

today's bargain by _loupe, on Flickr

• Like Like x 2
  3. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    God, those both look great.

• Like Like x 1
  4. krugorg

krugorg SC All-Pro

Sep 26, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Kyle Krug
    • Like Like x 1
  5. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Lee Miller had a fascinating life ... several of them! She was a war photographer amongst other things, and "Lee Miller's War" is a well-known book of pj from WWII. She also had a long affair with Man Ray, and knew "everyone" in '30s Paris. I wouldn't characterise her life as tragic, but it's very clear she was a pretty tortured soul, and probably very difficult to be around. Anthony Penrose is actually her son, and I think he skates over some of her more difficult behaviour. Clinically, I'd guess at borderline personality disorder compounded by alcoholism in later life, but such a wonderfully gifted person.

It only arrived today, but I've wanted the Batchelor book for a couple of years, in fact I thought I'd posted that link or similar here before (but I can't find it now), and of course when you look at what he's done and what I try to do sometimes, you can see why I might like it so much!

• Like Like x 1
  6. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    and here's another bargain from a few weeks ago ... Garry Fabian Miller is a photographer who doesn't use a camera ... this is partly a catalogue of an exhibition of his work I saw a while back, so I was very pleased to trip over this for a stupidly small amount of money ...

Tuesday bargain by _loupe, on Flickr