Torn between 2 lovers...

Yeats

All-Pro
Name
Chris
I recently bought an Olympus E-PM2 with the kit lens to replace my Panny LX7. My "big camera" setup is the Pentax K-01 + a handful of lenses.

What I didn't expect was how much I enjoy the output of the Oly! The Pentax has a higher ceiling for maximum image quality, but Oly is, for me, pretty much the Pentax's equal for functional IQ. I think I prefer the 3:2 image format over the Oly's 4:3, but that's small potatoes... I'm really quite enamored with the little Oly's size, agility and quality output.

I'm considering ditching most of my Pentax gear, maybe keep a few lenses like the Takumar 200/5.6, 24/3.5 and Jupiter-9 85/2; full-frame lenses that I could use should I ever acquire a FF camera.

With the proceeds from the Pentax stuff, I could invest further in my Oly kit. I've been eyeing the Panny 20/1.7 & 100-300, and the Oly 45/1.8 and 40-150 + Macro converter. Perhaps even a Panny G5 to use near-exclusively with the 100-300.

Sounds like I've got it all figured out, right? Except...

I'm afraid I'll miss my Pentax gear... once it's gone, I'll find that I took some aspect of it for granted.

Anyone have anything to say (besides "shut up, Yeats!")..?

[video=youtube;qnjXqBfPLew]

Sometimes it is not which one is better but which one you'll use more. If they are so close maybe investing in what you will use the most counts more than which is better in any particular way, if that makes sense?

John makes a great point. But, having said that, I must admit that I continue to hang onto my Pentax K-5, K-30 and K-01 primarily because of my DA Limited prime lenses. That and occasional telephoto work with the DA 55-300.

But the truth is, I'm going to have to begin selling off some of my gear soon because I can't use all of it often enough and I can't afford to add gear that I really want now without selling off the stuff I don't use often. Right now, I'm conflicted on whether the Pentax gear or my micro four-thirds gear goes.

Chris, I realize that you're thinking aloud in your post. My advice: Take your time. Go on using the gear you have the way you will and the answer will come to you before very long. See what happens between now and the end of the year.

I don't miss my Pentax gear, though the last lens I sold was the DA Ltd 35/2.8 Macro. Yeats, I recommend the Oly 17/1.8 over the Panny 20/1.7, especially on bodies with the Sony 16MP sensor. This lens bands (randomly) at ISO 1600 and above. The 17/1.8 has become my favorite lens.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

I don't miss my Pentax gear, though the last lens I sold was the DA Ltd 35/2.8 Macro. Yeats, I recommend the Oly 17/1.8 over the Panny 20/1.7, especially on bodies with the Sony 16MP sensor. This lens bands (randomly) at ISO 1600 and above. The 17/1.8 has become my favorite lens.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

I'm with you on the 17/1.8 Margaret. Can't recommend it enough.

You can listen to a lot of noise on the internet. Micro 4/3 sensor is too small, depth-of-field not shallow enough, never be as good as an APS-C sensor assuming equal levels of technology, blah, blah, blah, yawn, yawn, yawn. The fact is that the gear just works, the cameras feel like very mature and well developed products, there manuafcturers have no fear of adding new tech and features, and the lens selection is great across a wide price range. Lots to like.

Saying goodbye to an old friend however, is never easy...

Sometimes it is not which one is better but which one you'll use more. If they are so close maybe investing in what you will use the most counts more than which is better in any particular way, if that makes sense?

Stop using logic on me, John! :D

John makes a great point. But, having said that, I must admit that I continue to hang onto my Pentax K-5, K-30 and K-01 primarily because of my DA Limited prime lenses. That and occasional telephoto work with the DA 55-300.

But the truth is, I'm going to have to begin selling off some of my gear soon because I can't use all of it often enough and I can't afford to add gear that I really want now without selling off the stuff I don't use often. Right now, I'm conflicted on whether the Pentax gear or my micro four-thirds gear goes.

Chris, I realize that you're thinking aloud in your post. My advice: Take your time. Go on using the gear you have the way you will and the answer will come to you before very long. See what happens between now and the end of the year.

Yes, you're right, I need to wait a bit... it's only been a couple weeks with the E-PM2, so I'm still in "honeymoon" mode. But you know what's crazy, Steve? With the launch of the K-3 supposedly imminent, I've been thinking about how low the price might go on a K-5 IIs... :doh:

I'm with you on the 17/1.8 Margaret. Can't recommend it enough.

Thanks for the warning, I Googled the problem and see that its, um, rampant. :( Maybe the Oly 17/2.8, then. I need a pancake for coat-pocketability and also to fit in a small belt pouch.

The Pen Mini's are very appealing little cameras, especially when you get the IQ of the PM2.

Yep. (y)

You can listen to a lot of noise on the internet. Micro 4/3 sensor is too small, depth-of-field not shallow enough, never be as good as an APS-C sensor assuming equal levels of technology, blah, blah, blah, yawn, yawn, yawn. The fact is that the gear just works, the cameras feel like very mature and well developed products, there manuafcturers have no fear of adding new tech and features, and the lens selection is great across a wide price range. Lots to like.

Saying goodbye to an old friend however, is never easy...

I agree with you, Nick. I'm very impressed with what m4/3 has to offer. The only area it falls down (for me) is the crop factor when using legacy lenses - 2x is too much. But that's a peculiar quibble that impacts few people.

I agree with you, Nick. I'm very impressed with what m4/3 has to offer. The only area it falls down (for me) is the crop factor when using legacy lenses - 2x is too much. But that's a peculiar quibble that impacts few people.

For wide-ish angles, yeah, it's roughly impossible. But if you want to turn a nifty-50 into a great portrait lens, 100mm equivalent is a whole lot more useful than 75mm IMHO. So, as always, depends on what you're after...

-Ray

But you know what's crazy, Steve? With the launch of the K-3 supposedly imminent, I've been thinking about how low the price might go on a K-5 IIs... :doh:

LOL! I hear you perfectly! I think it's something many of us do automatically. But I must admit my interest in a K-5 II or IIs has gone down since I picked up a K30 body for about $450. The K30's autofocus is a bit better than the K-5's, as is the image processing engine. The only thing it gives up to it's big brother, at least in a practical sense, is 12-bit raw instead of 14-bit raw.

I think, beyond the gear itself, I hesitate to sell off my Pentax gear becuase it means ending membership in the special club of Pentaxians. It hasn't been easy to be a Pentaxian over the past decade, which is part of what makes it special. Perhaps I should sell off all but the K30 and K-01 bodies and the DA Limiteds. Maybe also the 18-135 WR zoom for foul weather. That would would still be letting a lot of gear go (and raising a very decent chunk of change).

LOL! I hear you perfectly! I think it's something many of us do automatically. But I must admit my interest in a K-5 II or IIs has gone down since I picked up a K30 body for about $450. The K30's autofocus is a bit better than the K-5's, as is the image processing engine. The only thing it gives up to it's big brother, at least in a practical sense, is 12-bit raw instead of 14-bit raw.

I think, beyond the gear itself, I hesitate to sell off my Pentax gear becuase it means ending membership in the special club of Pentaxians. It hasn't been easy to be a Pentaxian over the past decade, which is part of what makes it special. Perhaps I should sell off all but the K30 and K-01 bodies and the DA Limiteds. Maybe also the 18-135 WR zoom for foul weather. That would would still be letting a lot of gear go (and raising a very decent chunk of change).

What most attracts me to the K-5 IIs is the quiet shutter... and I've never owned a DSLR that had an OVF larger than entry-level. I think it would lovely to use with my MF lenses. I have had the occasional urge to grab a K-30, though, it's always seemed like a great deal.

I've been a Pentaxian for the most part of 7 years, it's the only ILC I've known until my little Oly. I had the DA15 for about 1.5 years until my "great Pentax sell-off" of last year. Considering how Pentax has treated their very loyal user base, I'm loathe to invest $$ in new equipment, although I did for the K-01. A gently-used K-5 IIs for $500 would be hard to resist, though... :redface:

What would be even harder to resist: a FF K-02 w/EVF, holy moly....

Good luck in your search Chris. I've been torn back and forth a few times. The m43 definitely wins for reach, but really not in in any other tangible way (except for size.....which matters little to me). I have a Panasonic 100-300 on the way to me and will soon compare a few Pentax 300mm options with the Panasonic. I can share my findings with you if you like. But I'm quite sure that whatever you end up with produce great results. It's the phtoog, not the gear.

I'm in the same boat. I have a wonderful K-5 and some decent primes as well as 3 zooms... and I never touch it. I think about it once in a very great while and then take something else instead. I've been going to divest myself for the last two years but I had cause for pause after I sold my FA43mm and later wished I had not. If I sold my Pentax gear, I could invest in something else, also. Not sure what. Maybe not the Nikon 1 gear as I had intended.

Its a quandary, for sure.

Yeah, I'm this close (fingers an half an inch apart) from selling my DA* zooms (16-50 and 50-135 F2.8). They just don't get used enough as my needs and preferences change over the years.

I try not to get sentimental about this stuff, although sometimes that's hard. Right now I'm wondering if I should get some nice Nikon glass to use on APS-C (D7100), Micro Four Thirds (for video) and the Nikon V1.

Back