Total Noob Mistake

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by tonyturley, Aug 1, 2017.

1. tonyturley

tonyturley SC All-Pro

Nov 24, 2014
    Scott Depot, WV, USA
    Tony
    Left early for work this morning so I could stop at my favorite overlook, a hill overlooking downtown and the major river flowing through the area. It was very foggy, and the city lights made for some nice reflections. I flipped on the G1 to adjust to the settings I wanted, and saw "NO MEMORY CARD" in bold letters across the screen. Reached into the pocket in my bag where I keep a spare card and . . . no memory card. I had spent several hours yesterday reviewing photos, and the cards were still in my PC or laying on the desk. I had my Rollei 35 film camera with me, and was able to get a couple of frames, but dangit! At least I hadn't made one of my usual 2-3 hour drives to a favorite hiking or biking spot. That would have hurt!

• Like Like x 2
  2. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Lexington, Virginia
    Steve
    Ouch. I hate it when I do that. I've debated keeping a spare card in my wallet but I'm not sure it would survive.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. Petach

Petach SC Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2011
    UK, Essex
    Peter Tachauer
    I feel your pain. Done it on a number of occasions..........also have left battery out of camera too.

4. theoldsmithy

theoldsmithy SC All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Herefordshire, England
    Martin Connolly
    Yep, thank goodness for the iPhone on such occasions. Worst was on a weekend away. I forgot the camera!

• Wow Wow x 1
  5. Richard

Richard SC Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Marlow, UK
    My speciality is to leave the self-timer on from the previous day. thereby convincing myself that the camera has locked up while actually taking random pictures of my leg.

-R

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    My effort was leaving the battery on the charger with the others in a line waiting to be charged as well. And being about 80km from home.

• Like Like x 1
    • Sad Sad x 1
  7. MoonMind

MoonMind SC Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Martin and I know another twist of that tale: Not inserting the film correctly into the camera and only finding that out much, much later. Today, I "finished" a roll of APX 100 - only to realise that I hadn't take a single frame. Felt doubly miserable since a) I wanted to test a new lens (Voigtländer VM 21mm f/4 Pancake ...) and b), more importantly, I had actually put some time and effort into quite a couple of the shots and was looking forward to the results ... The only "good" thing is that I get to reuse the film (leader retriever ...).

M.

• Like Like x 2
  8. I feel your pain, done it a few times.

My solution, I leave the SD Card/Battery Door open any time either are out of the camera. I only close it when both are back in.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Luke

Luke Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    at least your camera reminded you and you didn't waste time "taking photos". I've had a few digital cameras that flash "no card" so quickly, I miss it. Then when I'm done "taking photos" and I go to review them, I just go ballistic!

• Like Like x 1
    • Sad Sad x 1
  10. Ripleysbaby

Ripleysbaby supernatural anesthetist

Sep 9, 2011
    Cumbria UK
    Garry
    I have a spare in my wallet. But the last time I forgot to install a card I also forgot I had a spare in my wallet :hmmm:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Wow Wow x 1
  11. donlaw

donlaw SC All-Pro Subscribing Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Texas
    Don
    Been there and done that on the card.
    And one time was all set to take some group family photos with the Nikon Df.
    Didn't think to check the battery charge. Messed around with the menus and tested some autofocus while waiting for everyone to assemble.
    Got everyone lined up, dead battery... iPhone to the rescue.
    Since then, have a spare battery charged up and ready in the bag.
    You can tell I am not a pro...

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Petach

Petach SC Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2011
    UK, Essex
    Peter Tachauer
    These tales make "leaving the lens cap on" almost look professional. :0)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1