Travel and Visa's in the US

1. People can help Bill with his question concerning medical costs and possible insurance coverage while visiting the US, but we must leave politics out (and I know it may be difficult).
Luke,

FWIW, I was trying to explain how things work now and what the new law will and won't change relative to someone traveling here - AFAIK, it's not likely to make much difference for a foreign traveller. I'm way more than aware of the controversy and politics around the ACA and wasn't either endorsing or criticizing it. I did mention a couple of things that might be taken as criticisms of the current (pre-ACA) system, but I don't think there's much controversial about that - the controversy has to do with how to address it, not about whether the current system is wonderful. I don't know anyone who disagrees on that.

-Ray

Bill, as a UK citizen living in the US the only thing I would say is don't skimp on health insurance. Given the cost it can often be tempting to try to save a bit here, but medical costs in the US are extremely high and the bills add up very quickly even for routine treatments. An initial visit to a doctor may be around $250, subsequent visits a bit less. X-rays may cost around $100 per view. MRI scans can cost $1000. Prices vary widely depending on where you are and what hospital/clinic you're visiting. The problem is that if you do need treatment the running total escalates very quickly. Just as a point of reference my recent outpatient surgery to fix a torn ligament in my hand would have cost me $21,000 if I hadn't had insurance.

You might want to check with your credit card provider to see if they offer any kind of insurance cover either with the card or available as an add on. Rent a vehicle using that card and you may have medical insurance cover in the event that you are involved in a traffic accident.

You should probably start by contacting some of the main private insurers in the UK. I have used AXA in the past and my brother uses BUPA. They'll be trying to sell you a product but they will also provide some info. You could also try Cigna Global, part of Cigna which is one of the big health insurers in the US.

Regarding banks, the rules here are very restrictive. Without a US address you are not going to get an account here. On the other hand, you really need very little cash to get by in the US. If your credit card provider will allow you to overpay, effectively loading cash on your card so that it functions as a debit card, you can save on charges, though even in these circumstances cash withdrawals will be charged interest.

Another thing to be aware of is that some businesses will try to charge your card in UK pounds rather than US dollars. They are supposed to give you the option, but sometimes don't. You should always refuse and insist on being charged in US dollars. These retailers will always have a much less favourable exchange rate than your CC provider.

A tourist visa suffices because it allows you to stay for three months in the country. Just fill out the form in the plane. No need to go to the embassy.
This doesn't sound quite right. My girlfriend and I are both European Community nationals - she is Czech and I am British. For our recent trip to the States we had to either (a) obtain a visa the old-fashioned way, or (b) apply via the Visa Waiver Program for ESTA approval (Electronic System for Travel Authorisation). The ESTA is by far the best approach if you come from one of the qualifying countries and if you have a biometric passport (she didn't - long story). It costs $14 each for a successful application, and it is usually awarded instantly.

Here's a link: Official ESTA Application Website, U.S. Customs and Border Protection

As I understand it, you need either a visa or an ESTA approval to travel to the US, otherwise you can't even check in to your flight there.

-R

Thanks everyone

didn't want to become political in any way over the US health system - but the more I read and learn about even basic health costs in the US the more it discourages me - a basic doctors visit privately in the UK, France. Holland, Belgium, Germany or whatever only costs US$40 to US$50 - tests about the same - and that is if you pay the full cost

As we plan to be on holiday for some time South Africa it is.

Thanks for your note. Of course you are right! My lesson: don't do two things at the same time (i plead guilty). Going through the ESTA procedure is easy but it takes some time.

This doesn't sound quite right. My girlfriend and I are both European Community nationals - she is Czech and I am British. For our recent trip to the States we had to either (a) obtain a visa the old-fashioned way, or (b) apply via the Visa Waiver Program for ESTA approval (Electronic System for Travel Authorisation). The ESTA is by far the best approach if you come from one of the qualifying countries and if you have a biometric passport (she didn't - long story). It costs $14 each for a successful application, and it is usually awarded instantly.

Here's a link: Official ESTA Application Website, U.S. Customs and Border Protection

As I understand it, you need either a visa or an ESTA approval to travel to the US, otherwise you can't even check in to your flight there.

-R

Looks like plenty of other people have given their two-penneth, but for what's it's worth, here is mine. Based on 2 years living in the US, and numerous personal trips there.

1) Visa - 90 day stay allowed with visa waiver program. Any attempt to obtain a visa proper is time consuming and not guaranteed success. Using the ETSA procedure means you are covered generally or about 3? years, but only 90 day stays in any one go. If you get to 90 days, go spend a week or so in Canada if you are up that way, and then come go back.

2) Money - I always use my Bank Debit Card/ Cash card at local ATMs. You sometimes have to pay a fee, but you also get the best exchange rate, and there are no cash advance fees as there are if you use your Credit Card. I am talking specifically for UK cards here. So for day to day expenses get cash out via your cash card in ATMs, for chenkier things that you would rather have the comfort of being insured by the CC company, use Credit Card.

3) Insurance - unfortunately this is one area that I think it is best to grin and bear it, i.e. pay for a good travel insurance policy upfront. You want to enjoy the trip - good travel insurance should give piece of mind before you set off.

I will be following these points if and when I get to do my RV trip round the states when I retire in 20 years. Who am I kidding? no-one in the UK is going to be able to retire anymore!

Back