Trenchers making a comeback...?

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Lightmancer, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    We went out to dinner last night. Not a cheap one, over £50 a head for two courses and wine.

My rump steak turned up on a wooden board, with my chips (all nine of them...) in a little galvanised steel bucket. My dessert (a really nice raspberry parfait with a small quenelle of basil ice cream) was served on a small piece of slate.

Plates have been in use for years - they are easily washed, thus hygienic and easy to store, not to say easy to eat from. why change now? Neither a chopping board nor a bit of roofing tile has the necessary concavity to contain even the slightest dribble of sauce or meat juice or indeed a melted pool of ice cream, as the waiter found to his cost when he came to clear. And chips in a bucket? Buckets are for mopping floors and slopping out.

I have decided in future that if my food is served on such poncy frippery it shall be returned to the kitchen forthwith, with a request for it to be returned upon a simple, honest plate, round, white, food for the use of.

• Like Like x 7
  2. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I do recall a particular dish of fame that was served on a shingle, so there is historical precedence.

Five Guys Burgers serves fries/chips in a large bag. As long as my food-serving-receptacle is not actually disposable I consider it fine dining.

• Like Like x 2
  3. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013
    They'll be serving it up in newspaper next

• Like Like x 2
  4. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    no one describes the tribulations of modern times better than you Bill. You should start writing one a day (with a photo) and write a book. I'll buy 10.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Lightmancer

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Funnily enough... :wink:

6. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott SC All-Pro

Jan 3, 2012
    Troy, NY
    I'm with you. If you want to be really daring, send it back and demand it be served on a well-washed 8x10 sheet film holder.

Cheers, Jock

• Like Like x 1
  7. demiro

demiro Serious Compacts For Life

Dec 15, 2011
    For anyone like me who is clueless as to "trencher" here you go:

From wikipedia:

375px-BLW_Trencher.

• Like Like x 3
  8. biglouis

biglouis SC Veteran

Aug 4, 2013
    Was the food as pretentious are the crockery (if you can call it that?).

LouisB

• Like Like x 3
  9. Lightmancer

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Largely. It was at a local hotel named The Aviator - judge for yourself :wink: Thing is, you can eat better and cheaper at a Michelin-starred restaurant such as L'Ortolan*. It's a hotel brasserie, for heaven's sake. Pretentiousness is style without substance, in my opinion.

*where they use "plates"...

• Like Like x 1
  10. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    In Senegal, food was often served on pieces of discarded paper cement bag... but I do feel your pain, especially when liquids are involved.

Learned a new word in English today, thanks Bill and Dean! :smile:

11. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    If you will eat in establishments owned by stupidly-expensive-and-noove-watch manufacturers, you deserve all you get ... and it's in farnbro' for god's sake.

12. Lightmancer

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    How true. I should have truck with Plan A and gone to the Ghurka Palace across the road :biggrin:

13. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013
    You could have taken a few photos for trip advisor

14. john m flores

john m flores SC All-Pro

Aug 13, 2012
    I'm going there straight away on my Segway! And I'm bringing my Hasselblad Lunar and Google Glass with me!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Its part of the flavor of the place.

I've been to a few of these, all BBQ joints. As long as the food is good, and the serving/eating devices are not a hinderance, just enjoy.