"Trilens" - wouldya...?

Discussion in 'Open Gear Talk' started by Lightmancer, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
  2. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott SC All-Pro

Jan 3, 2012
    Troy, NY
    Lovely camera, Bill, did the Benser base (sounds like something out of Star Wars) work any better than a jacket pocket?

Cheers, Jock

3. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Lexington, Virginia
    Steve
    You’d need a cowboy hat. :biggrin: It does look fast however. Might be interesting to have a few rear caps on a base in the bottom of a bag.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  4. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    A little bit of explanation. Walther Benser was a Leica employee. He was famous for travelling the world giving slide shows that illustrated what could be done with Leica bodies and lenses.

In later years he wrote a book called "My Life With The Leica" - an excellent read.

He also designed a couple of accessories...

This is the Lens Carrier M, on my MP4 .85. The Benser base was similar, but carried two lenses, one on either end of the baseplate. They are handy for travel, for short lenses. I got quite adroit with doing fast changes with mine.

benser-m-base-plate-for-m2-3.

Funnily enough, what you are describing did exist. I've seen them at camera fairs. Like all such cases they seem like a good idea but are not very flexible in use.

While I'm about it this is a Benser bag... modular in nature, the idea was you could easily reconfigure or load your bag with different kit for different photo shoots. It proves there's nothing new under the Sun!

s-l225.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1