Tripod recommendations for the Merrill?

Discussion in 'Sigma DP Forum' started by lattiboy, Jan 26, 2015.

1. lattiboy

lattiboy SC Regular

Mar 6, 2011
    Hi all,

I'm finding out quite quickly that a tripod should've been included with the Merrill's. I've never been a "tripod guy". I've owned a few for some light video stuff (fluid heads), but I've never been able to find an extremely lightweight, portable tripod I could get behind.

I will seldom use anything larger than a GX7, so weight capacity is very low on my list.

Looking for something that retracts into the smallest possible package, but is still able to expand to a reasonable height. (I'm 6'8", so this is kind of important!)

• Like Like x 1
  2. dougpayne

dougpayne SC Regular

Oct 17, 2012
    Sebastopol, CA
    C.D. Payne
    • Like Like x 1
  3. SnapDawg

SnapDawg Rorschach Test Pilot

Apr 18, 2014
    Canary Islands
    You might want to browse the usual suspects for "travel tripod".
  4. NickLarsson

NickLarsson SC Veteran

Jun 24, 2013
    Paris, France
    When traveling I like the gorillapod from joby, but then you have to find something to attach to. But usually a barrier does the job.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. lattiboy

lattiboy SC Regular

Mar 6, 2011
    Thanks Doug! I have a nice Velbon tabletop tripod similar to the one in the video. I'll mess around with it tonight.
  6. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    I have a Manfrotto "befree"; I'm not a tripod person either, and I am 6'3"; it represents the best compromise for me in terms of capability, cost and weight.
  7. BillN

BillN SC Hall of Famer

Aug 25, 2010
    S W France
    I use a very light, almost full size, CF tripod with a small ball head ... made by these guys

I even use this when travelling with my Nikon 300mm f2.8VR and TC14Ell
  8. rybolt

rybolt Itinerant picture taker

Mar 24, 2014
    Yellow Springs, Ohio USA
    Paul Rybolt
    When I had the Merrill cameras I tended to treat them as medium format film cameras and rarely shot a hand held picture. I had arca style grips on all three (knockoffs-not RRS brand) and used a Manfrotto CF tripod with a small ballhead. The ballhead had the arca style QR. This allowed me to quickly move from vertical to horizontal shots without changing anything on the ballhead. I also found that the grips gave me better handling of the cameras and another layer of protection on both ends; something I need in the field as I can sometimes be clumsy.