Tripods - Really Right Stuff - Quick Release Claimps and L Brackets

Discussion in 'Open Gear Talk' started by Xuereb, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Xuereb

Xuereb SC Veteran

Nov 5, 2010
    W. Australia
    They can be wicked and complicated little things causing frustration because perceived economies are often misleading as this tale will tell.

About a year ago the small but light FLM power release fixed on my FLM ballhead gave up its life under the weight of a Sony Nex 5N with a Nikkor F 35mm f1.4 lens. It was a cheap, lightweight release and I had underestimated the extent to which the connection between the ballhead and camera tripod screw would 'twist' under the weight of a lens. I had also underestimated the necessity (yes, it is vital) to have a proper L bracket not just for panoramas but simply to be able to mount the camera vertically and use all ballhead movements.

I could have got a replacement FLM power release but decided to save up for Really Right Stuff of which I had heard good things. In the meanwhile the Sony was sold, a Sigma DP2M came along and then Really Right Stuff took a little while to come up with an L bracket for the camera. If ever a compact camera needed a tripod it was the Sigma DP2M which I use only at iso100.

Other bills had to be paid and finally 2 weeks ago I ordered a Really Right Stuff DP2M L bracket and a quick release clamp with a lever release. I had decided on the lever release clamp over an exchange of emails with RRS who were courteous, prompt, gave excellent and clear advice. Next I needed to find some Loctite Blue. Previous experience had shown that screws worked their way loose but I was superstitious and had kept clear of using a thread locker. Much research on the internet assured me that this was safe and practical to use. I found the Loctite at a motor car repair dealer, and applied it to my ballhead and after a patient 24 hour curing period fixed the quick release clamp.

The clamp & ballhead sit atop a Feisol 3301 carbon fibre tripod. The combination works superbly. Oh the renewed joy of being able to shoot at 1/8s at f8.0!

The RRS equipment is superbly crafted. The Sigma DP2M L bracket fits the camera well and assists stability with hand held pictures because it affords a better grip with one's hands. The surface area on the L bracket as clasped by the quick release clamp is huge and all is firmly held . The quick release clamps are marvels with a spirit level, a lever release that folds out of the way and grasps the bracket with a tight grip. The Loctite is wonderful and no screws have worked their way loose. The equipment now gives enormous confidence that the camera will be absolutely still during exposure.

I heartily recommend the Really Right Stuff quick release clamp and the L bracket for the Sigma DP2M. I have found the FLM CB38F ballhead itself to be superb and reliable in use, it locks into position without moving, is smooth in action and permits quick & easy positioning.

Now all I need is a nodal rail for panoramas.

2. Hikari

Hikari SC Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    Maine, USA
    Enjoy your new stuff.

You will not need a nodal rail of panoramas unless you have a lot of foreground objects--imagine shooting inside a forest kind of thing. With a Sigma, even in a forest, I doubt you will need a rail.

In all my years of using photographic equipment, I have never known a screw to work loose.

3. Xuereb

Xuereb SC Veteran

Nov 5, 2010
    W. Australia
    Thanks Hikari I have never done panoramas but I do shoot in the forest often.

I get loose screws all the time. But then we often have temperature differences of 20•C between night and day here.

4. Hikari

Hikari SC Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    Maine, USA
    I would try a few panos before getting a rail. I do stitched panos quite often. I can't remember the last time I took my rail along with me.

5. Xuereb

Xuereb SC Veteran

Nov 5, 2010
    W. Australia
    Thanks for the tip I will try pano without & see what that brings.

6. coyote

coyote SC Rookie

Mar 7, 2013
    eastern oregon
    eric
    RRS makes very nice gear, but their anti-human rights stand has kept me from buying any of their products (google: RRS + Prop 8). sorry...