Samsung True. Samsung NX Camera's are finished.

Nick

Received this news from Portland Oregon Samsung Dealer 30 minutes ago.
I contacted them and asked if they had any info below is their response.
Must state I an pretty pissed off after investing around $5000 on the NX system in January.

Yes, unfortunately Samsung has decided to leave the camera market in the US. The main take away from this is that the NX system, at least for now, has come to an end. There will be no more product releases or updates for the foreseeable future.

However, it is very important to note that Samsung is obligated to back their US released products for at least the next 10 years, this means that the warranties attached to all Samsung imaging products are valid and perhaps more importantly they must support the servicing of their imaging devices for the next decade (generally US law requires a period of 10 years, Samsung has not commented themselves on this aspect though).

I MUST STRESS, that this is what we understand to be Samsung's obligation, as you say info has been scarce from the horses mouth.

I would say that if you have any concerns regarding Samsungs view on their responsibilities here in the US it would certainly be best to wait until something official is forthcoming. My personal viewpoint is that it would be massively counterproductive for such a large entity as Samsung to shirk their obligations regarding this matter, but of course there's nothing to back that up officially.

If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to contact us again!

A shame because Samsung's products were finally good enough to take seriously. This is the problem with an electronics company that dabbles in photography as opposed to a firm that has imaging as its core business. I'm not saying that I expect similar behavior by Sony (and that company has contributed a lot of innovation to photography). But we've seen Sony drop camera lines and mounts in the past.

It's been known for a few months now that Samsung has gotten out of the camera business. The rumor is that Nikon will buy or has bought their camera IP.

I'm not saying that I expect similar behavior by Sony (and that company has contributed a lot of innovation to photography). But we've seen Sony drop camera lines and mounts in the past.

Sony has been in imaging for decades, even before they bought out Minolta. They were the market leader in broadcast video. They literally set the standards for that industry from umatic to beta.

Which mounts has Sony dropped? The only two consumer mounts I know about are A Mount and E Mount. Both of which are still going strong.

On another note, I've been meaning to respond to your thread about buying a camera from Asia. There's another way to go that I think is better. New cameras in Asia are not cheap. Asia is more about getting great condition used cameras cheaply. If you are looking for a new camera, it's cheaper to buy it from Amazon Europe. They will ship to the US. The dollar is strong and European VAT is high. After conversion from euros into dollars and having the VAT removed it gets pretty cheap. For example, last year when the dollar was at it's peak the Sigma DP2M was around $330 delivered to the US. The same camera was $600-$700 on Amazon US. Also, I find it more reassuring to deal with Amazon than some random ebay seller. Make sure you check all the Amazon Europe websites, such as Amazon.de and Amazon.fr. Even though they are all Amazon Europe, the prices can be different on each site. Sometimes it's quite substantial.

Sony has been in imaging for decades, even before they bought out Minolta. They were the market leader in broadcast video. They literally set the standards for that industry from umatic to beta.

Which mounts has Sony dropped? The only two consumer mounts I know about are A Mount and E Mount. Both of which are still going strong.

On another note, I've been meaning to respond to your thread about buying a camera from Asia. There's another way to go that I think is better. New cameras in Asia are not cheap. Asia is more about getting great condition used cameras cheaply. If you are looking for a new camera, it's cheaper to buy it from Amazon Europe. They will ship to the US. The dollar is strong and European VAT is high. After conversion from euros into dollars and having the VAT removed it gets pretty cheap. For example, last year when the dollar was at it's peak the Sigma DP2M was around $330 delivered to the US. The same camera was $600-$700 on Amazon US. Also, I find it more reassuring to deal with Amazon than some random ebay seller. Make sure you check all the Amazon Europe websites, such as Amazon.de and Amazon.fr. Even though they are all Amazon Europe, the prices can be different on each site. Sometimes it's quite substantial.

Thanks so much for the tip. I will definitely check out Amazon Europe. It really never occurred to me.

Re: Sony... yes, I am aware of their longtime involvement in television and video - I'm in the industry. And there's no doubt about Sony's innovation. But they tend to lose interest in camera lines easily and I think that holds some people back from buying in. Again, I don't expect Sony to pull the plug like Samsung. But I probably shouldn't have mentioned mounts (although the jury is out on how long the Alpha mount will be around).

It's not the first time Samsung left their customers out in the cold.

That's the reason I will never buy another Samsung product again. (Although the Samsung vacuum I have is rather good.)

I don't really know anyone buying into Samsung right now as a future system. If the OP did that, then that sucks. Most people I know who are buying have had realistic expectations. It does seem apparent now that NX is discontinued for the forseeable future, but at least I had already accounted for this risk when I bought. The NX cameras and lenses will all still work for years to come, which will help them retain value. Their depreciation curve is simply more like that of a fixed lens camera and less like that of an ILC system.

I have really loved the Samsung experience, but in part because I don't want to buy too many lenses in a system that appears to be dead, there's only so much I could do with my Samsung bodies. So I've decided to buy an A6300, which allows me to do 4K with all of my Sony lenses, and also I can simultaneously replace my NX500 and A6000 to lighten my camera bag. But from all I've read about the A6300, it doesn't sound as well built for extended video like the NX1. So I'm keeping the NX1. I'll just use the A6300 for photography and less demanding video use.

Back