trying to resist

Discussion in 'Open Gear Talk' started by Luke, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I've been doing a pretty good job of resisting a purchase of the discounted Pentax MX-1 http://www.adorama.com/IPXMX1SL.html
    It is a good looking camera and I like the tilty screen and love the brass top and bottom plates. But I know I have bought several smaller sensor cameras and despite that they are all "good enough", I invariably look at the results and which they were better.

But I still have an itch for a new camera that may fill some (possibly imaginary) photographic need. I have been looking for a week or two to pick up a K30. I have been shooting primarily with with my K-5iis, but despite that camera being the Pentax flagship for awhile, it doesn't have focus peaking like the less expensive K-30 *extends middle finger to Ricoh* which really helps when manually focusing old glass. But I can't seem to find one for less than I sold mine a year ago. While I've been searching though, I ran across another Pentax that allows focus peaking in live view mode. It also has some quirk factor that I value in a camera.

But I'm going to try to continue resisting this blue and white beauty

View attachment 81619
    Pentax-K-01-camera-blue-white by opt out of new experience, on Flickr

• Like Like x 7
  2. wt21

wt21 SC Hall of Famer

Aug 15, 2010
    You should buy that, and all my PK-mount manual focus lenses I have for sale in the marketplace section :)

• Like Like x 3
  3. nippa

nippa SC Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2010
    Cheshire UK
    Dennis
    I must be getting over my GAS attacks.
    Two hours ago I handled both the Sony A7R and the Olympus E-M1 and thought that both bodies felt cheap.
    The credit card stayed in the wallet.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    Credit card must be beckoning for the Leica M then!!!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Yeats

Yeats SC All-Pro

Jul 31, 2012
    New Jersey, USA
    Chris
    Luke, when The Smurf was released, I thought it looked really cool. But then I considered how black lenses would look on it, and that quenched the fire pretty quickly.

Someone had Photoshopped a black & silver K-01 to make it completely black, and it looks fantastic. Pentax should've done it.

[​IMG]

I can learn to resist anything but temptation.

[video=youtube;mb1UaRu0JVA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb1UaRu0JVA[/video]

6. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I've got a K-01... a black with silver top example. I tend to use it indoors with my DA Limited primes. The DA 40 gets most of the use with the K-01. Then the 21, 15, 35 and 70 in that order. Auto focus is of the contrast-detection type and isn't the fastest. But it is a lot better after the firmware update. On the other hand, there's no concern about front- or back-focusing with contrast detection. The only real problem I can point to is that the rear LCD is a bit difficult to work with in bright sunlight. Other than that, the brick is a fun camera with the output of the K-5 and K-30. Not bad for the $299 I paid for it new.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    Thanks Chris. You've eliminated my temptation. I can't have anything to do with the Smurfs.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Yeats

Yeats SC All-Pro

Jul 31, 2012
    New Jersey, USA
    Chris
    I'm happy with The Bumblebee. As Steve points out, with contrast-detect there's no worry for BF or FF, and I find it fast enough with short-throw lenses.

With longer lenses outdoors, I use the Carry Speed Viewfinder.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  9. TraamisVOS

TraamisVOS SC Hall of Famer

Nov 29, 2010
    Melboune, Australia
    My god that reminded me that I have one, a Hoodman loupe.

10. Gubrz

Gubrz O.* Gonzo's & Bentley's Dad

Jun 5, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Eliot
    Drats! And here I was about to twirl my vaudeville mustache and sway you into unnecessary camera purchases! just for revenge, of course... LOL!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    Did you buy that a7 yet?

12. Gubrz

Gubrz O.* Gonzo's & Bentley's Dad

Jun 5, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Eliot
    No!
    *quickly closes thread!!!*

Lol

I need to try out a 50/1.5 or 50/2 zeiss on it first! And hear that shutter in person.... You know I'm quirky and will lose my mind if that shutter makes my eyes bug out n horror every time I snap! Lol

13. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    It's gonna be outrageous compared to the E-M5 or the RX1

14. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Thank you!:rofl: