1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

trying to resist

Discussion in 'Open Gear Talk' started by Luke, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I've been doing a pretty good job of resisting a purchase of the discounted Pentax MX-1 http://www.adorama.com/IPXMX1SL.html
    It is a good looking camera and I like the tilty screen and love the brass top and bottom plates. But I know I have bought several smaller sensor cameras and despite that they are all "good enough", I invariably look at the results and which they were better.

But I still have an itch for a new camera that may fill some (possibly imaginary) photographic need. I have been looking for a week or two to pick up a K30. I have been shooting primarily with with my K-5iis, but despite that camera being the Pentax flagship for awhile, it doesn't have focus peaking like the less expensive K-30 *extends middle finger to Ricoh* which really helps when manually focusing old glass. But I can't seem to find one for less than I sold mine a year ago. While I've been searching though, I ran across another Pentax that allows focus peaking in live view mode. It also has some quirk factor that I value in a camera.

But I'm going to try to continue resisting this blue and white beauty

Pentax-K-01-camera-blue-white by opt out of new experience, on Flickr

• Like Like x 7
  2. wt21

wt21 SC Hall of Famer

Aug 15, 2010
    You should buy that, and all my PK-mount manual focus lenses I have for sale in the marketplace section :)

• Like Like x 3
  3. nippa

nippa SC Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2010
    Cheshire UK
    Dennis
    I must be getting over my GAS attacks.
    Two hours ago I handled both the Sony A7R and the Olympus E-M1 and thought that both bodies felt cheap.
    The credit card stayed in the wallet.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    Credit card must be beckoning for the Leica M then!!!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Yeats

Yeats SC All-Pro

Jul 31, 2012
    New Jersey, USA
    Chris
    Luke, when The Smurf was released, I thought it looked really cool. But then I considered how black lenses would look on it, and that quenched the fire pretty quickly.

Someone had Photoshopped a black & silver K-01 to make it completely black, and it looks fantastic. Pentax should've done it.

[​IMG]

I can learn to resist anything but temptation.

[video=youtube;mb1UaRu0JVA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb1UaRu0JVA[/video]

6. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I've got a K-01... a black with silver top example. I tend to use it indoors with my DA Limited primes. The DA 40 gets most of the use with the K-01. Then the 21, 15, 35 and 70 in that order. Auto focus is of the contrast-detection type and isn't the fastest. But it is a lot better after the firmware update. On the other hand, there's no concern about front- or back-focusing with contrast detection. The only real problem I can point to is that the rear LCD is a bit difficult to work with in bright sunlight. Other than that, the brick is a fun camera with the output of the K-5 and K-30. Not bad for the $299 I paid for it new.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    Thanks Chris. You've eliminated my temptation. I can't have anything to do with the Smurfs.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Yeats

Yeats SC All-Pro

Jul 31, 2012
    New Jersey, USA
    Chris
    I'm happy with The Bumblebee. As Steve points out, with contrast-detect there's no worry for BF or FF, and I find it fast enough with short-throw lenses.

With longer lenses outdoors, I use the Carry Speed Viewfinder.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  9. TraamisVOS

TraamisVOS SC Hall of Famer

Nov 29, 2010
    Melboune, Australia
    My god that reminded me that I have one, a Hoodman loupe.

10. Gubrz

Gubrz O.* Gonzo's & Bentley's Dad

Jun 5, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Eliot
    Drats! And here I was about to twirl my vaudeville mustache and sway you into unnecessary camera purchases! just for revenge, of course... LOL!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    Did you buy that a7 yet?

12. Gubrz

Gubrz O.* Gonzo's & Bentley's Dad

Jun 5, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Eliot
    No!
    *quickly closes thread!!!*

Lol

I need to try out a 50/1.5 or 50/2 zeiss on it first! And hear that shutter in person.... You know I'm quirky and will lose my mind if that shutter makes my eyes bug out n horror every time I snap! Lol

13. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    It's gonna be outrageous compared to the E-M5 or the RX1

14. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Thank you!:rofl: