Micro 4/3 Tweaking settings

I was browsing the mu-43 forums and came across this thread on optimising/optimizing;) JPEG and WB settings for straight-out-of-the-camera images from Panny Lumix Gs.

I hadn't realised/realized;) - and this surprised/surprized;) me because I am an unreconstructed fiddler - that you can do the same tweaks on an LX3 and save them as myfilms and play with magenta/green/yellow/blue WB settings too.

Has anyone else tried this on their LX3s/LX5s? I have just set up my LX3 and am going to give it a whirl.

I'll post my views later then but feel free to weigh in if you've tried it. It would be good to post your favoured/favored;) settings too.

And no SHOOT RAW INSTEAD YOU FOOL type posts please :D

Russ, I've seen that thread over there, too, but I have never delved into any in camera settings. I'll be looking forward to your reporting back. Love that "unreconstructed fiddler" description!:D

Well, not quite. But the differences were actually quite subtle except for the in-camera sharpening that at +2 is way too heavy-handed. Noise reduction at -2 doesn't seem to do too much but is slightly more pleasing to me than the standard noise-reduction.

Since we're having a glorious spring here in Yorkshire, my shooting conditions were consistently sunny and I have to say that I preferred the slightly warmer cast of cloudy WB to sunny WB. I added +2 clicks of magenta and +1 click of blue to the cloudy WB, as suggested over the road, and again, the difference was quite subtle but something that might be worth trying out under different lighting conditions when the difference may be more marked.

So for straight out of the camera jpegs, Panasonic's defaults aren't too far off the mark (but we knew that anyway). It maybe worth knocking down the NR by a click or two. I don't think it's worth increasing the sharpening in-camera. I didn't try adjusting contrast and saturation systematically because, for those parameters, I think that beauty is in the eye of the beholder although nudging one/both a little may sharpen things up a little and may be in a more pleasing way than the sharpen parameter.

Russ, you're wonderful - love that post made at 2:09pm!:D

However, I appreciate your taking the time to go into more details, as well.;) I think I am too lazy to try all sorts of in camera tweakings.

Back