Ultimate Portable Media Storage Solution?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Biro, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    How good is the word ruggedized? :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Define "good." :wink:

4. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    man, the storage geeks are having a heyday in the comments section over there. It never really specifies what makes it ruggedized (I'm falling more in love with that word every time I see it). Also of note in the description over at B & H......not compatible with Apple computers.

5. flash

flash SC Veteran

May 6, 2011
    Gordon
    Do you need a ruggedised computer to use that drive? Do the images have to come from a ruggidised camera?

Seriously I'd rather have a Hyperdrive with a SSD in it.

Gordon

6. Hikari

Hikari SC Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    Maine, USA
    Drop it and see how much a thin layer is of semi-ridgid rubber really "ruggedizes" it. Maybe the word mean it turns it into a rug or only protection from rugs.

7. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I think this is the key here. If it won't stand up to substantially bigger drops and harder knocks than the "non-ruggedized" version, then it's extra money wasted.

8. TraamisVOS

TraamisVOS SC Hall of Famer

Nov 29, 2010
    Melboune, Australia
    That is a good point.

9. olli

olli Super Moderator Emeritus

Sep 28, 2010
    Metro Manila
    olli
    I use these - 'rugged', not 'ruggedized'. Caan't tell you how well they work since I haven't dropped one so far.

10. john m flores

john m flores SC All-Pro

Aug 13, 2012
    In 2013, "ruggedized" means SSD to me. Or maybe that would make it mega-ruggedized.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Will

Will SC All-Pro

Aug 30, 2010
    England
    Macbooks use a motion sensor to detect if you drop them and disengage the heads from the hard disk before it hits the ground, maybe this does the same?

12. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    What? How could they make it not compatible with Apple computers??? Thats nuts. Probably formatted for PC which is not an issue. In the meantime... I just use a 500GB WD portable. Its not ruggedized.

13. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    They have since changed the description. When it ships, it is formatted for use with a PC, but it can be reformatted to to work with the fruity machines that some prefer.

14. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    You don't even have to reformat if you dont want to. The fruity machines talk just as easily to FAT and ExFAT formatted as they do to HFS+. And, I think they can read from (but not write to) NTFS as well.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    default is NTFS......if you can't write to it, it's not very useful.

16. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Not when Ive bought formatted for PC drives. they are almost invariably FAT formatted, which makes them more useable for other systems (Linux for example, as well as OSX). Maybe they do things differently over there :p

17. MargaretSchwarz

MargaretSchwarz  

May 6, 2013
  18. Boid

Boid SC All-Pro

Dec 15, 2011
    Bangalore, India
    Rajiv
  19. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Well, I won't be bothering with a WD portable again. Mine got the "Click of Death" (I could hear it ticking... nasty) and so it had been sent to HD heaven with the help of a hammer.

Click of death - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So... it wasnt a very fast drive in any case so I've relegated an older but more reliable non-portable drive to do the Clone work. I no longer need portable anyway so no biggie.