1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Ultra wide compact options?

Discussion in 'Open Gear Talk' started by Chris2500dk, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Chris2500dk

Chris2500dk SC Top Veteran

Dec 22, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    The one thing I miss from my DSLR is the ultra wide angle. I had a Sigma 10-20 on my Nikon D5000 and that 15mm equivalent was very enjoyable.

The closest I can find to something similar with a compact is a Panasonic LX5 with the LW46 converter, or a NEX with the 16mm and the wide converter.
    Both options would give me 18mm equivalent which is close.

I have the LW46 and I've used it on my Sigma DP1x which gives me 21mm equivalent and that isn't really wide enough when I want wide.

Any other ideas or suggestions would be most welcome.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    EPM1 or one of the other small m43 cameras with the Olympus 9-18. The Pany 7-14 is also very nice but a lot less compact.

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  3. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I have a Samyang/Rokinon 7.5 fisheye for micro 4/3 mount that is a 15mm equivalent. If you don't like fisheye distortions, the shots can be de-fished with simple software.
    There are some examples this way.... Samyang 7.5 on the Street + Hemi-Defish - Micro Four Thirds User Forum
    The lens is $299 and there are plenty of m43 bodies available used if you just want a dedicated wide-angle machine.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Landshark

Landshark PhotoDog

Jul 15, 2010
    SoCal
    Bob
    they also have the OLy 9-18 for M4/3, or the 21 adatper lens for the Ricoh GRDs or the 18mm one for the Panasonic LX5

• Like Like x 1
  5. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Cheap Leica screwthread body - £100 - £150 + Cosina Voigtlander 15mm Color Heliar. :smile: