1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Underwhelming firmware update for RX100 Mk I

Discussion in 'Sony RX100 Forum' started by theoldsmithy, Jan 29, 2015.

1. theoldsmithy

theoldsmithy SC Top Veteran

Jan 7, 2013
    Herefordshire, England
    Martin Connolly
    Sony have posted a firmware update for the RX100 Mk I. The windows version is here but the benefits are virtually non-existent:

• Improve the vibration and sound noise of the lens during auto-focusing
    Personally I have never experienced an issue with the noise of the lens. There are plenty of other usability gripes that they could have fixed. I don't think I'll bother with this one.

2. bilzmale

bilzmale Super Moderator Emeritus

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    I updated (as any OCD person would :wink: ). Never had a problem either.

3. nippa

nippa SC Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2010
    Cheshire UK
    Dennis
    Thanks for posting that I never dreamt that Sony would follow the Fuji example and update older cameras.
    Being a cynic I believe that there must be more to this than they have revealed so I updated.

4. theoldsmithy

Jan 7, 2013
    Herefordshire, England
    Martin Connolly
    Let us know what you discover!

5. nippa

nippa SC Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2010
    Cheshire UK
    Dennis
    You can disable the movie button!

• Like Like x 2
  6. porchard

porchard SC Veteran

Feb 24, 2013
    Devon, UK
    NOW we're talking...! :smile:

7. Arup Roy Chowdhury

Arup Roy Chowdhury SC Regular

Jul 24, 2013
    Kinda sad was expecting more enhancement to the BIONZ engine but still thankful.

8. theoldsmithy

Jan 7, 2013
    Herefordshire, England
    Martin Connolly
    I'll update tonight and see if I can find anything else. Disabling the movie button would be useful, I have had loads of 10 second fragments of movies saved by mistake!

9. WoodWorks

WoodWorks SC Regular

Dec 21, 2014
    I own a RX100M3, so the firmware doesn't apply to me. But Dennis' mention that the Movie button can be disabled led me to check to see if that feature was already included in the M3. And sure enough, it is! So thanks for mentioning it. I too have shot a series of unwanted 10 sec video clips by accident. But after disabling the button, that's no longer a concern.

10. lenshoarder

lenshoarder SC Veteran

Mar 7, 2012
    They've been doing it for a while. Remember how the original 3/5 got focus peaking.

11. Orchard

Orchard New to SC

Dec 10, 2014
    I have a mk 2 and while it's growing on me I wish they would get rid of the crappy useless filters and give ND 3 & 3 stop bracketing! Please

12. SnapDawg

SnapDawg Rorschach Test Pilot

Apr 18, 2014
    Canary Islands
    Ken
    They did that for the NEX-7 too. If I remember correctly about a year after the camera came out; long after the first complaints about the awkward position/accidental triggering and stressed out users demonstrating their skills with glue, o-rings and other stuff on the web.