Film unfair comparison backfires...

stillshunter

Super Moderator Emeritus
Name
Mark
Not sure if this is of any interest to anyone on here, but I'd recently had the opportunity to trial a Fed-2 with Industar-61 L/D and thought I'd do an unfair comparison to my current popular Japanese 70's compact RF, the Minolta 7sII.

Must say when I received the Fed-2 and even after having used the two cameras side by side I thought this was going to be a no-brainer. But after having spied the outputs I admit to being very wrong and I got to say I am torn. The Fed-2 has some fundamental failings that dampen the user experience (though I am led to believe much had to do with the state of Fed-2 (esp. the VF) that I was shooting with). Bottom line is that the Industar-61L/D blew me away completely and has certainly tempted me to explore this FSU malarky ;)

we demand samples
I promise you Sir, many a sample is included in the hyperlinked blog - launched from the "I'd do an unfair comparison" region.

….or is it the Mod's preference for me to duplicate entry to this thread? I can and shall is requested.

sorry my homie...the difference between really dark gray and black on my craptop meant I didn't see any link at all...... I'm still barely seeing it. I'll check it out tomorrow morning.
No drama my BFAM!
Funny my hyperlinks show up orange, standing out like the dog's proverbials. I must have my site skin set to Funky Town. :dance2:

I have this lens and think it's a perfectly decent lens. When I did some side by side tests with it and the Zuiko 50 f1.8, the Zuiko was sharper by a bit up to f8, when things became essentially a wash. At 5.6 it was close. Sorry Luke, the samples are long gone; I was just trying to satisfy my curiousity at the time. Of my film 50's, I prefer my Summicron f2 from 1953 and the Zuiko, but I'd certainly not hesitate to go out and shoot with the Industar. It was the only coated screw mount 50mm I had for some time, and it did well on my Bessa R.

...I'd certainly not hesitate to go out and shoot with the Industar. It was the only coated screw mount 50mm I had for some time, and it did well on my Bessa R.
Yeah this experience has got me thinking. I'd like to see more and so am on the hunt for a reliable LTM mount body, like the Bessa-R or Canon-P, to take many a different sample of these FSU lenses for a drive.

I very much enjoyed the read. I'm learning to become less of a pixel peeper, and not knowing much about either set-up, I prefer the images from the Minolta, but the Soviet rig suits my mid-century tastes better. Of course, I can't be bothered with film, let alone learning how to meter a scene and expose a shot properly. So I'll leave these esoteric shoot-outs to the pros. Keep shooting and keep writing, Mark. But do you need to end the post so darkly? I just can't help thinking about the dog passing on...... at least you'll have that great photo.

I love that picture of your dog, Mark. I'm sure I've seen it on Flickr or perhaps on this site - its a beautiful image of your dear friend.

I don't think I knew you had a website, I hope you'll add it to your signature link so I can be sure to check up on you.

Yes, by all means take photos of your dog. Every lens, every camera, every piece of photographic hardware or software should be tested with a picture of your dog -- and/or cat. My friends are all self conscious about their characterful middle aged mugs, but my dear departed Peggy, my dog, was always there to be photographed, always willing, or a least resigned to it, and sometimes with a smile.

Yes, by all means take photos of your dog. Every lens, every camera, every piece of photographic hardware or software should be tested with a picture of your dog -- and/or cat. My friends all self conscious about their characterful middle aged mugs, but my dear departed Peggy, my dog, was always there to be photographed, always willing, or a least resigned to it, and sometimes with a smile.
Well said Larry, very well said! :clap2:

Not sure if this is of any interest to anyone on here, but I'd recently had the opportunity to trial a Fed-2 with Industar-61 L/D and thought I'd do an unfair comparison to my current popular Japanese 70's compact RF, the Minolta 7sII.
Well, according to my unscientific appraisal from what I see, the Fed 2 appears to be more contrasty. They both look good though.
RE; Link, it showed up Orange for me too. (or was that Red?) ;)

Industar 61-L/D is a very special lens. It's sharp, contrasty and it has that special 'character'. I think it's one of the best FSU lenses. Its SLR counterpart (Industar-61L/Z) also doubles as a not-too-shabby macro lens.

Back