Useful weather tool for photographers

Jock Elliott

Hall of Famer
A while back, I "discovered" www.wunderground.com

It's a weather website and what makes it particularly useful for me is this graph:

wunderground graph.JPG

Of course it shows temperature and chance of precipitation, but the user can customize it, as I have, to show cloud cover. That line on the left is a slider that can be moved to show approximately what time precipitation is likely to happen or when the cloud cover is likely to decrease.

Also useful is the "astronomy" section, which gives sunrise, sunset, moonrise, moonset, etc.:
wunderground astronomy.JPG

I tried entering "Moscow, Russia" and "Perth, Australia" into wunderground, and it produced charts for each, so apparently it is a worldwide resource.

Overall, I find wunderground very useful.

Cheers, Jock

I've been quite happy with wunderground's interface and apps too...

But... during our Christmas trip I've been checking the weather every day with several weather services - and the winner was accuweather.
Accuweather were the most accurate by far. Where other services (including wunderground) were rather vague e.g. "afternoon rain", accuweather predicted "rain starting at 6pm" and were pretty spot on. I'm even starting to look at their "minutecast" now - a concept that up until recently I would have just smiled at :)

Having said that - I'm sure that the accuracy of any forecast service depends highly on the geographic location (and maybe even time of year). I remember accuweather being pretty useless back in London. (But then all the weather services in London were pretty useless - with London's weird microclimate...)

Back