1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Using Aperture 3.0 and shooting RAW - not for grandmothers

Discussion in 'Fuji X100 Forum' started by jonoslack, May 15, 2011.

1. jonoslack

jonoslack SC Veteran

May 6, 2011
    HI there
    I don't want to be teaching my grandmother to suck eggs, so, for whom this is really obvious - apologies! I just thought that it might be helpful to someone!

Having re-evaluated the situation too many times, I do know that Aperture is the photographic program for me, there's no question about it.

However, as usual, Aperture have been slow to provide support for the X100, and I thought it might just be worth sharing the way I deal with this issue.

I'm always a little worried about using proprietary RAW formats anyway, so I don't have a problem about converting to DNG - fortunately the Adobe DNG converter is free, and you can get it from here:

Adobe DNG converter 6.4 for mac

Okay - this is what I do
    First of all - I shoot RAW - then I insert the SD card into the computer and load DNG converter:

You can see that having set it up once, it defaults to using the folder in the SD card with the images:
    /Volumes/Untitled/DCIM/100_FUJI/

The target location I've set up is a transit folder called

/Volumes/....../fujidng/

Again - having set this up once it will default to this folder each time you load DNG converter

Here's how it looks:
    [​IMG]

Having clicked the Convert button and put the kettle on, I remove the SD card, load Aperture and click on Import - I'll then choose the local drive and go to the

/Volumes/....../fujidng/ folder, which will then have all the DNG files ready to import.

I set Aperture to MOVE the files to the correct end location (I have a default project for each month, with a matching folder).

Like this:

[​IMG]

After doing the import, the temporary fujidng folder is empty (the files having been moved), So there is no duplication of files and everything is neat and tidy.

. . . . . . . of course, I also have a backup routine which runs each night to backup the new files.

I hope this is helpful to someone!

all the best

2. soundimageplus

soundimageplus SC Top Veteran

Jul 6, 2010
    So does this version of aperture now import DNG versions of files that the Mac OS doesn't support?

3. jonoslack

jonoslack SC Veteran

May 6, 2011
    Hi - yes indeed.
    There was a problem with files which had lens correction information (eg micro 4/3 cameras) - I think that's been sorted out (bit I don't have a camera to test with).
    However the Fuji files are fine - added to which, when Apple do add support, the camera is properly recognised, so you'll be given the option of re-processing using the new parameters. My feeling is that the current conversion is excellent.

Hope this helps
    all the best

• Like Like x 2
  4. soundimageplus

soundimageplus SC Top Veteran

Jul 6, 2010
    I downloaded a trial version and was indeed able to import my fuji x100 files converted into DNG files into Aperture. About time it did this. I haven't used it for a while and have always been very disappointed with it. However version 3 certainly seems a lot quicker and I'll have a look at it again, and see what I think at the end of 30 days.

5. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    I'd never had much luck with DNG files from a couple of other cameras I had before raw support was available, so I hadn't even thought of it with the Fuji. And I've been so happy with the jpegs I figured this might be the first camera I'd actually stick with jpegs (particularly given the amazing capacity on the card and the speed they write at). But I just tried the DNG conversion again and it works perfectly, so I suppose I'll shoot raw for a while now and maybe mix in the occasiona raw+jpeg and see what I think. Certainly doesn't add much time to the import process.

-Ray