Fuji Using my DSLR as a Rangefinder

Susan Sande

Veteran
OK get your laughing and bashing out of the way and then read on. :D As I mentioned in my previous X100 post I am in the market for one in about 8-9 months. Yes I know the difference between SLR/DSLR and Rangefinders. What I'd like to do is set up my Canon 60D with one of my prime lenses and replicate the image I'd be getting with the X100/X100s with its 23.6mm x 15.8mm (APS-C) CMOS sensor, f=23mm lens and comparable aspect ratio. And then shoot for the next 8 months seeing if I liked and used that focal length, crop factor, etc. That experience might steer me away from the purchase based on not the IQ but shall I say playing field I can capture using my feet as my zoom. Or it might make me want the X100(s) even more.... That make any sense?

My primes are a 50mm, a 35mm and my latest - the Canon 14mm pancake. And I have the kit 18-55mm and a couple other zooms. (I also have an old Canon manual 25mm lens that I have yet to find an adapter that fits nice to). Which of those lenses on my 60D and its 14.9 x 22.3mm APS-C sensor is going to give me that same image capture as the 23mm lens on the X100???

Thanks!

It makes sense to me perfectly. Deciding if you can use a certain focal length and make your photos is something it would seem essential to know if you're buying a fixed lens camera.

I'm not a street photographer, but I've watched some discussions here of people talking about 28mm vs. 35mm for street photography and even that seemingly small change in focal length makes all the difference to them as they don't feel they can really "see" their shot as well at another length.

I was trying to figure out how you modified your viewfinder to do RF style focusing or something as I clicked the title, lol.

22mm lens will give you the same FOV on your Canon as the X100 will have. That means using your kit zoom. But in my experience, it is nearly impossible to have self-control or even practical ability to keep at zoom at an intermediate focal length.

Also, just because I have to say it, the X100 is not a rangefinder. So, I'm confused if you truly want to play with a rangefinder, or if you just want to test the FOV of the lens. If you truly want a rangefinder, that means a certain manual focus approach, and the cheapest way to try a true RF focus approach is something like a film Canonent or other old, compact RF. If all you want to do is try the FL, then that's easier. What about renting an X100?? If you are in the US lensrentals and others can rent one for you.

You can always try to set it between the 18 and 24 markings on the kit zoom which should give you 22mm and then put some tape on the zoom ring and barrel to prevent it from changing the zoom setting.

That should give you a good approximation of the X100 field of view.

-Thomas

Yes, tape and lots of it. I am of the mindset that if I tape something, it will not fail due to lack of tape. I suggest a gaffers tape, other tape, duct, electrical may leave a residue of adhesive in its footprint.

Gary

It makes sense to me perfectly. Deciding if you can use a certain focal length and make your photos is something it would seem essential to know if you're buying a fixed lens camera.
That's what I meant DUH, not rangefinder, fixed focal length camera. But you know what I meant. Though I do also have a RF camera that I've never used, even have the film for it (and the owners manual!!) and have never loaded it to try it out!! A very pretty little Yashica Lynx 5000E IC. Hmmm, what's stopping me??

22mm lens will give you the same FOV on your Canon as the X100 will have. That means using your kit zoom. What about renting an X100?? If you are in the US lensrentals and others can rent one for you.

Unemployment = gotta work with the equipment I have right now. Though $75 for a 4 day rental with shipping is a nice idea!!

Back