Sony Using the pop up flash as a commander works great.

rpavich

Veteran
I've been messing with flash and trying to figure out how to get flashes to trigger when nothing plugs into the proprietary hot shoe of this thing.

Well..I found out that if you dial back the exposure compensation to -3 stops (all the way down) it will still trigger a slave flash but be all but unnoticeable and not give a distracting forward flash on the subject.

Even though this isn't a great picture, it shows that almost no light was coming off of the pop up flash.

I put a YN560 (cheapie manual Yongnuo) flash in a reflective umbrella behind the food, set to S2 slave mode.View attachment 6658

I've been messing with flash and trying to figure out how to get flashes to trigger when nothing plugs into the proprietary hot shoe of this thing.

Well..I found out that if you dial back the exposure compensation to -3 stops (all the way down) it will still trigger a slave flash but be all but unnoticeable and not give a distracting forward flash on the subject.

Even though this isn't a great picture, it shows that almost no light was coming off of the pop up flash.

I put a YN560 (cheapie manual Yongnuo) flash in a reflective umbrella behind the food, set to S2 slave mode.View attachment 6658

Out of curiosity, are you able to do Rear-Sync with this? Or, does the flash only fire at the beginning of the frame?

Well...I don't know. I'd have to check. One of the settings is "slow shutter" so i think that's equal to "rear sync" I'll see if I can't do a test or two.

Yes....it has an actual rear curtain setting, which is different than "slow sync". There IS a slight "preflash" though, but it didn't seem to affect the exposure really.

Back