Vale Michael Reichmann.

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by bilzmale, May 20, 2016.

1. bilzmale

bilzmale Super Moderator Emeritus

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    Michael aged 71 has succumbed in his cancer battle. His website Luminous Landscape (LuLa) has been a favourite of mine for many years and I have always appreciated his reviews.

More details
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    I just read about it on DPR... sad news indeed. I really enjoyed his reviews; they were instrumental in me getting the Samsung EX1 and the Fuji X100. I also think I would've enjoyed joining one of their photo expeditions massively, as he came across as a great teacher.
  3. dalethorn

dalethorn SC All-Pro

Sep 14, 2013
    Charleston SC
    same as user name
    I bought all of the DVDs when they had DVDs. I ripped them all to MP4s and carry them everywhere on iPad and iPhone. Loads of good material in those videos.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    A sad loss. He was one of the good guys.
  5. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Oh dear, what a shock! I didnt realise he was over 70. What a loss :(
  6. bluzcity

bluzcity SC Veteran

Jul 30, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    He was such a positive influence. I will sincerely miss him. May he rest in the luminous landscape.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    He was one of those voices that lead us through the beginning of digital and he did so with knowledge and a sense of humor. I will miss his articles.
  8. dalethorn

dalethorn SC All-Pro

Sep 14, 2013
    Charleston SC
    same as user name
    Michael did something unusual on occasion, compared to many photographers and reviewers. Every now and then he would review a simple consumer digicam like the Canon G3x, and rave about it with minimal apologies. I found myself buying most of those when he posted such a review, and each one was a good value I thought.
    • Like Like x 4
  9. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    I didn't realize he was that old or that he was sick. One of those people you learn so much from and sort of take for granted. Always a mistake to do that...

10. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    When I first started looking into getting a more "serious" camera (circa 2008), I recall reading a write up from him praising the Canon G10 with its 14 MP sensor (I think it was 14). He did some comparison where he printed some large photos from the G10 and mixed them with photos from a large sensor camera. More often than not, it was not apparent to viewers that the photos came from a G10.