Fuji Variable nd filter

Lukinross

Rookie
Just got an variable nd filter with the rotating adjustment to nd 8. When at its darkest adjustment my x100 forms a dark x shape throughout the entire image (during daylight at beach). Any ideas on why? Am I forgetting something?

Post an example. Generally variable NDs work by having a circular polarizer on top of a linear polarizer. Generally speaking, other some off color cast, ND filters shouldn't perform as you describe.

I had the exact same thing when I purchased one a few months ago, there was even a note in the box saying this behavior was "normal" when used at the more extreme settings... Needless to say I did not agree with that and sent it back to replace with a fixed 8 stop filter, which performs just fine...

After doing some research on google, this is an issue with most variable ND's when pushing the limits of the ND filter, especially with wide focal lengths. I've never used one, but have thought about getting one. They seem too expensive for what they are since I can stack a circular and linear cheaper. Normally I use a 2 or 3 stop for waterfalls. On the rare occasion, I might stack them which works fine other than some vignetting at the wide angle. I've never had the need for more than 5 or 6 stops though.

My homemade VND made from bargain bin polarizers does the same thing when at it's darkest setting. The only way I can see it is if I shine a torch through it from the backside and work my way around the edges, there is an X there. I've never used it on the camera that dark so I've never seen it show up on images.

DSCF0459.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Just a quick example... The reason i want 8 stops is I've seen some amazing broad daylight shots using that amount of filter...

Back