Very Serious Compact, MF Sony coming?

Discussion in 'News and Rumors' started by serhan, Mar 25, 2014.

1. serhan

serhan SC All-Pro

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    Interesting rumor from SAR:
    (SR3) Surprising rumor: First hints about a Sony medium format camera?

ff_vs_sony50mp_medium_zps7c17fabd.

Sony A7(R) video talked about the new surprise cameras and Sony started to produce MF sensor so why not a MF RX esp when both Sony/Fuji started w/ fixed lens cameras before the mount release?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    Medium Format should not be abbreviated as MF... I thought this Sony rumor was that they were releasing a Manual Focus camera!

It'll be beyond my price range, but I'll consider buying a used one 3 years after release :biggrin:

• Like Like x 3
  3. KillRamsey

KillRamsey SC Hall of Famer

Jun 20, 2012
    Cambridge, MA
    Kyle
    At that point any decently fast glass is going to have a razor thin depth of field, right? That introduces its own challenges, and suggests a potential "sweet spot" for any individual person, where they balance out their needs for image quality / resolution with their needs for depth of field at low light... Somewhere in there is an ideal sensor size for each person based on what they like.

• Like Like x 1
  4. serhan

serhan SC All-Pro

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    Yes, it gets confusing as not many people use medium format. That is the idea, esp seeing how fast A7(R) prices went down, but I guess this may not be consumer sale release w/ lots of returns. RX1 took a year or so and this is even more specialized. I am sure we'll hear more about it esp if they are releasing in 5-6 months, which matches for RX update timeline.

• Like Like x 1
  5. serhan

serhan SC All-Pro

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    I think they will not go for a fast lens esp to keep the size small and also it is easier to achieve high IQ w/ slower lenses eg RX1 lens vs Voigtlander 17mm 0.95 (m43) or Sony 55mm 1.8 vs Voigtlander 25mm 0.95 (m43). Usually MF lenses are slower. So it might be more for high IQ landcape/portrait shoots. It is also easier to increase MP w/ larger format w/o pushing the glass to the edge. Again this is speculation at this point but it is a possibility based on surprises that Sony produced last couple years...

• Like Like x 1
  6. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    the cool thing about ever improving high ISO performance means that one doesn't NEED super-fast glass. Aperture becomes more purely a DOF selector and is separated a bit from it's role in light gathering ability. So if you want razor thin, you can have it at f2 or if you want deep DOF, you're at f16, but you still have enough light because ISO12800 is useable.

• Like Like x 2
  7. KillRamsey

KillRamsey SC Hall of Famer

Jun 20, 2012
    Cambridge, MA
    Kyle
    ^ true, and crazy. But true.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Fiddler

Fiddler SC Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Colin
    I'd want to see what the new Sigma cameras can do, before I'd go chasing this rabbit :smile:

• Like Like x 2
  9. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    The most surprising thing about this, to me, is that SAR found this rumour surprising. Given Sony's adventurous, risk taking, envelope pushing, halo camera creating streak of the past few years, how could anyone NOT expect this after the announcement that Hasselblad et al will use a new Sony medium format sensor?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    Next is an 8x10 view camera with a cloth hood to see the HUGE EVF...

Hey, I scoffed at the RX1 at first and then ended up owning one. I can't imagine that happening with a beast like this, but I've done stranger things than that...

-Ray

• Like Like x 4
  11. serhan

serhan SC All-Pro

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    If they put rx1 in rx100 package, I think the cybershot (P&S) division can put the med format sensor in RX10 package:)

The ratio from MF to FF is 1.69 and from Canon apsc to FF is 1.66 so it is approx. similar ratios & aprox 1+1/3 stop dof gain... IF they put f2 lens on MF, dof will be close to f1.2-1.3 ff lens.

12. rbelyell

rbelyell SC Top Veteran

May 14, 2013
    NY Mtns
    i really dislike sony, but you cannot argue with their sense of innovation. i too scoffed at the rx1 and now cannot imagine using anything else! i do, however, continue to scoff at this fast lens obsession, as if photography never existed before a freaking 1.2. im happy as a clam with the results ive gotten from superb f2 lenses like the biogons, summicrons, x100 and now rx1. and frankly i have a hard time considering the 'art' or 'technique' or beauty in the constant barrage of portraits where three eyelashes are in focus with the rest of the face in a 'glorious' blur. sorry for the rant, just camt understand how the first reaction to another groundbreaking cam debates how 'super' fast the lens'll be and how disappointed 'just a 1.8' would leave us. good gosh!

• Like Like x 4
  13. serhan

serhan SC All-Pro

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    At the wide end f2 FF dof is not that thin unless you are at sb's nose. That is why people are asking 35mm 1.4/1.2 lenses. Again that gives you dof control, doesn't mean you have to shot wide open... Sony might come w/ f2.8-4 lens to make it smaller.

Also here is Lloyd Chambers blog comments:
    http://diglloyd.com/blog/2014/20140325_1-Sony-MF-CMOS.html

14. Lucille

Lucille SC Veteran

Aug 20, 2012
    Hepcat City
    Build it Sony, and I am in.

15. Boid

Boid SC All-Pro

Dec 15, 2011
    Bangalore, India
    Rajiv
    A digital Hassleblad X-pan would work for me as well. Though I do hope this rumor is true.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. SC All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    The fastest lens I have for my Hasselblad 500 C/M is the 80 f2.8, and I feel no pressing need to get anything faster. Most of us don't need really fast lenses, especially with, as Luke mentioned, the superb low light performance of most modern cameras. With smaller sensors, though, I do understand why one would want faster lenses -- fast enough to approximate DOF you'd get with a 35mm and typical, normal lens, which is of course wider on a small sensor. f2 on a "normal" for the sensor mentioned will give you ample opportunity to throw things out of focus, which does seem to have become an obsession in the present.

17. rbelyell

rbelyell SC Top Veteran

May 14, 2013
    NY Mtns
    f2 on any platform will give you ample oppty to throw appropriate parts of the picture oof. ive got an oly 60/2.8 for m4/3 thats become one of my all time favorite potrait lenses. i love my elmar c 90/4 for portraits--on any platform from FF, apsc, m4/3 or through a horsehead.

18. Gubrz

Gubrz O.* Gonzo's & Bentley's Dad

Jun 5, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Eliot
    I will chase aaaaall the rabbits!

19. rbelyell

rbelyell SC Top Veteran

May 14, 2013
    NY Mtns
    well eliot, tell'em a hooka smoking caterpillar has given you the call... ):

20. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    You know I've played that song a million times and could never make out those lyrics. A sincere "thank you"

• Like Like x 1