Voigtlander 28mm f2 VM Ultron on E-P1 / E-PL2

Discussion in 'Micro Four Thirds Forum' started by Ghosthunter, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter boo! Subscribing Member

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    Hi

I'm interested in getting a Voigtlander 28mm f2 VM Ultron for my E-P1 / E-PL2 and have a LeicaM to M 4/3 adapter (unknown make) coming but I'm a tad worried about that big black thing sticking out the bottom of the lens. It doesn't look to bad on the pic below but still need to be sure. Will it be OK?

[​IMG]

UPDATE: Pic of Adapter:
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/5390471572/" title="Leica Adapter by andywest1, on Flickr">[​IMG]"400" height="293" alt="Leica Adapter" /></a>

Thanks

2. Brian

Brian SC Top Veteran S.C. Charter Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Personally, unless you have a Leica M-Mount camera that you plan on using this lens with: the Nikkor 28/2 is much cheaper and will not have any issue with protruding optics.

I've used the 35/1.7 Ultron without problems. I cannot answer about the 28/2. But I see why you are concerned. Best to try to get measurements before buying.

• Like Like x 1
  3. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    a quick google for "ultron m-mount ep1" came up with hits suggesting that others are using this combo with no problems

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ghosthunter

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    I am specifically looking for a small (Rangefinder) sized lens so it doesn't look to big on my E-P1/ E-PL2 which is why i got the M to M4/3 adapter.

5. Ghosthunter

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    I did have a look round but not many images of this lens on the E-P1 but there were a few. I was just a bit worried that they had taken a hack saw to the lens!! eeek!

6. deirdre

deirdre SC Top Veteran

Sep 26, 2010
    I don't have the f/2.0 version of this lens (which is a little different in size see this chart, but I do have the earlier f/1.9 screw mount version. Here it is on a Leica with the 20mm on the GF1 for comparison:

[​IMG]
    IMG_0230 by Deirdre Saoirse Moen, on Flickr

• Like Like x 2
  7. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    I can add that I also have the Ultron 28/1.9 on my my E-P2, and it looks a treat ... also screw mount, like Deirdre's, but in silver ... renders a beautiful image too ...
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  8. Ghosthunter

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    Brilliant! I'll deff go for the one on ebay.

• Like Like x 1
  9. deirdre

deirdre SC Top Veteran

Sep 26, 2010
    BTW, the 15mm Super Wide Heliar is a teeny lens for its width.

Three links to pics with the 28mm (on a Leica M8) straight out of camera:

one
    two
    three

This one's had some minor tweaks:
    four

You can download and look at 'em if you like.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Ghosthunter

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    Thanks for the links. This lens is on my shopping list but I'm not sure about it. It doesn't look a sharp lens to me. I need to research it a bit more. It will be a good focal length for M4/3.

11. deirdre

deirdre SC Top Veteran

Sep 26, 2010
    You mean the 15mm or the 28mm? I probably confused things by saying the 15mm in the first line and having the rest of the post be about the 28mm.

Note that I'm using manual focus and I need new glasses (and one new cornea), so don't assume focus issues based on my shots. :)

12. deirdre

deirdre SC Top Veteran

Sep 26, 2010
    Here's the M8 plus the 15mm compared with the GF1 and 20mm. Also, the 15mm protrudes backward more than the 28mm and I know people here have used the 15mm without issue, so that should also answer your question about the 28mm.

[​IMG]
    Voigtlander 15mm Size Comparison by Deirdre Saoirse Moen, on Flickr

13. Ghosthunter

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    Hi

I meant the 15mm Voigtlander was on my shopping list for later when i can afford it. I really is quite tiny isn't it!!

14. deirdre

deirdre SC Top Veteran

Sep 26, 2010
    It is. And boy is it ever wide! I remember accidentally getting my feet in a shot in Hawaii.