1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

VW

Discussion in 'Herman's Genres' started by Herman, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Herman

Herman The Image Stimulator

Jul 11, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Herman
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 10
  2. Isoterica

Isoterica SC Hall of Famer

Dec 6, 2011
    My daughter wants one of these :D

• Like Like x 1
  3. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    So do I. I wish VW made a modern version with the same look.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Beep, beep

• Like Like x 1
  5. ajramirez

ajramirez SC All-Pro

Jul 9, 2010
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    Antonio
    • Like Like x 10
  6. Herman

Herman The Image Stimulator

Jul 11, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Herman
    Thanks for the replies.
    VW = VolksWagen = Car for the folk.

In this area where I live I see a lot of VW, BMW. Mercedes.
    American cars not much, they consume to much fuel, too heavy too.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    None of the recent of current VWs have the same appeal for me as the old, air-cooled models from the 1950s and 60s.

• Like Like x 1
  8. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    My first car was my mother's...a VW Bug with an "automatic stick shift", next a stick Super Beetle.

Saw this one not too far from where we now live.

6151117917_c2341a234f_b.
    9-11-5-Edit.jpg by BBW: BB Wylie Walden, on Flickr

Always loved them - and to have had a convertible would have been really cool.

Herman, thanks for starting this thread with your wonderful VW bus!:drinks:

• Like Like x 4
  9. Crsnydertx

Crsnydertx SC Top Veteran

Jan 21, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    My very first car was a 1968 Volkswagen Beetle, bought new at the time of my graduation from college. Loved that little vehicle....!

• Like Like x 3
  10. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Chuck - long time no see on the old forums! Don't be such a stranger... Just so you know we have a new vaccine for G.A.S. so once you have it, you're guaranteed safe from buying any new cameras!:biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Joel Venable

Joel Venable New to SC

Dec 17, 2013
    Amazing. I just saw one that looked very much like this in San Diego today. :)

12. Isoterica

Dec 6, 2011
    Yeah newer brakes etc.. we warned her about that. Maybe we'll convert one, one day :) Be nice though if they remade them like they did the beetle.

13. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
  14. yakky

yakky SC Regular

Nov 30, 2013
    That's cause we eat too many cheeseburgers and hot dogs. America doesn't have a car under 3000lbs or one that gets over 20 mpg.

15. Isoterica

Dec 6, 2011

Neat idea but it's just not the same. Get rid of the plastic trim and put those chrome strips in.. and the molded bumper.. bleh. Also needs the big round lights not those streamlined slit lamps. It looks pretty much like every other minivan out there. But maybe if it catches interest they will do a more retro version in the future.

16. Dewi Sant

Dewi Sant SC Veteran

Dec 20, 2013
    Lancashire, England
    Guess?
    I had this in the late 80s, it's a genuine Karmann Beetle. They were only made in left hand drive which made it interesting to drive on our UK roads. If I recall correctly it was shot on an old 110 film camera, hence the poor picture qualtiy

• Like Like x 2
  17. dipso

dipso SC Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Brighton, UK
    dlpy7r.

1232phe.

The pick up was just parked down my street, the Golf is mine, from back in the 90s.
    Sadly, no pics of the white bug I had before that though.

• Like Like x 2
  18. BillN

BillN SC Hall of Famer

Aug 25, 2010
    S W France
    Bill
    Here's my VW - not used for years - in fact I put it in the Barn over 10 days ago so don't have a digital image - the following is a scan from a negative, with the kids - my daughter is over 30 now - maybe one day I'll get it out and restore it

Below it is a "proper" VW - alas I only drive it on special occasions these days as I "gave" it to my son on his 21st Birthday and I only get a drive when he feels like it - another scan from a film shot

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  19. Dewi Sant

Dewi Sant SC Veteran

Dec 20, 2013
    Lancashire, England
    Guess?
    I used to look after a friends Golf GTi when he went working away in Saudi in the mid 80s. Loved that car, I think i must have driven it more than he did, It felt really fast back then but I'll bet my wifes Ford Focus is actually quicker now.

Nice cars, Bill - and you still have the Karmann!! Impressed, I only had mine for about 18 months.

• Like Like x 1
  20. BillN

BillN SC Hall of Famer

Aug 25, 2010
    S W France
    Bill
    Morning Dewi - yes still have it - but it is "dog slow" - although it's a 1303 it only has a 1200cc engine and 50bhp - it was built for the LHD Italian market when they paid "purchase tax" on the size of the engine - so low cc engines were popular in the 1970's in Italy.

Son still uses the 911 at weekends - but his deal with me is if I pay half the maintenance and VED I can drive it in "OAP" mode now and again