Want advise to buy GF1 or any other portable DSLR

Discussion in 'Micro Four Thirds Forum' started by varunkrish, Sep 12, 2010.

1. varunkrish

varunkrish New to SC

Sep 12, 2010
    Hi guys,

Im currently using a Nikon D40 and find it to heavy to carry around. I'm a journalist and want good quality pics but Im having problem carrying D40 as i travel a lot.

Is the Panasonic GF1 good compared to the Olympus Ep1 and Sony Nex ?

What about the Leica X1 ?
    ________
    extreme q

• Like Like x 2
  2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Jul 12, 2010
    Philly, Pa
    The GF1 is a great camera. It's very similar to the Pen cameras but has an improved AF system.
    The IQ is beautiful. The X1 is also a great camera but only if you can live with a fixed Focal Length.

Most shooters will have an X1 but also have another camera with interchangeable lenses or adjustable focal lengths. The discipline of a fixed focal length camera takes
    commitment and patience to find your personal vision. This usually takes it's toll on the shooter after a period of time and the lure of different focal lengths takes over.

With either a Pen or the GF1 you'll be cutting your load and still getting the images you want AND have the options of different lenses.
    Good luck in your quest.
    shooter

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter boo!

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    With the right lens the GF1 & E-P1&2 can match DSLR's for IQ, no problem. They have the added bonus of being small, light and portable and I much prefer to use a camera of this type rather than lug big gear around wit me.

• Like Like x 1
  4. BillN

BillN SC Hall of Famer

Aug 25, 2010
    S W France
    Bill
    Pentax make a small DSLR(s) - (the Kx?), and their glass is (very) good and reasonably priced - you can also use all Pentax MF glass from years back - (M screw fitting included) - cheap and good off Ebay

For use as a main camera the lack of a view finder is a big negative for me and I do find the controls on the EP-1 and to a lessor extent the G1, not (nearly) as good as on the DSLRs, (I have a Nikon and a Pentax). Trying to frame with a LCD, particularly in good daylight is not a great experience

The physical size is a big positive for M43, but as your main camera, I personally would go for a G1 or it's latest replacement rather than the EP or GF

M43 is fine with the fixed 17mm and 20mm lenses (and 45mm), but once you get into telephoto territory I have found the available lens to be less satisfying

don't get me wrong, I like my M43 stuff - but they do have drawbacks which offset their size - "they are what they are"

(my comments are versus a conventional DSLR)

Hope it helps

• Like Like x 1
  5. jankapp

jankapp SC Regular

Aug 28, 2010
    I would take a serious look at the X1 (as I do too). Of course you need an OVF, that increases the format.
    Do you really need long distance shots? Do you really need a zoom? Is IQ not the most important?
    Perhaps you should wait until the end of September (Photokina).
    Jan

• Like Like x 1
  6. BillN

BillN SC Hall of Famer

Aug 25, 2010
    S W France
    Bill
    also factor in and compare the total cost, including lenses and accessories, for the set up that you need - as has been said other options then come into play

If you do not need 720 video, the Canon G11 is cheap and worth a look, (although the sensor and image IQ is better on the GF particularly in RAW)

(also post processing now plays a big part in the production of digital images)

7. christilou

christilou SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2010
    Sunny Frimley
    I also own a Nikon D40 and and EP2. I can tell you that the D40 with the 35mm 1.8 lens is a LOT lighter than the EP2 with the Zuiko 50mm lens. Of course, I don't know what lenses you are using on your D40 but just a thought!

• Like Like x 1
  8. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
  9. Gallimore

Gallimore New to SC

Aug 1, 2010
    I would go for one of the Panasonic G's. I have an E-p1 with Oly17mm, VF, and legacy lenses which I love, but you might be better off with the electronic VF.