1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

War Photography

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Gary, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Gary

Gary SC All-Pro

Aug 19, 2012
    Southern California
    Gary Ayala
    The LA Times, (April 21), has a rather extensive article on War Photography. Much different than I expected, more of War Photography 101, an intelectual examination, comparisons and contrasts between art (paintings) and photography. Some interesting quotes:

"George Bernard Shaw said he would willingly exchange every painting of the crucified Christ for a single snapshop of him on the cross."

Something to ponder ...

James Salter, at the beginning of his new novel, "All That Is", writes "Everything, writes Salter, was happening at two speeds, 'the desperate haste of action and also at a lesser speed, that of fate.'"

This is so true, in combat everything, but you, is moving in fast motion and your heart is pounding out of your chest in a destrate attempt to catch up.

The article is titled "The shutter speed of fate".

Interesting reading.

Gary

2. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    Thanks for the tip Gary. Is this the article to which you refer? Perspective: The jarring reality and artful beauty of photography - latimes.com

Regarding the Shaw quote about a photo of the crucified Christ, I think it's because we always want what we can't have. There were no cameras so we want to see that photo. Also, he should have seen this painting on the hood of a hopped up El Camino.

3. Gary

Gary SC All-Pro

Aug 19, 2012
    Southern California
    Gary Ayala
    Thanks Luke. Yes it is, obviously the online electronic edition has a different head than the tactile home edition.

4. Gary

Gary SC All-Pro

Aug 19, 2012
    Southern California
    Gary Ayala
    El Camino versus Shaw ... the El Camino wins every time.

5. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I'm sure you have no shortage of epic airbrushed El Caminos out in your barrios, but this one I saw a couple years ago was magnificent.

6. Gary

Gary SC All-Pro

Aug 19, 2012
    Southern California
    Gary Ayala
    I think they were born here, lol. You line them up and you have the entire "Bible" in pin-stripped candy-apple red.

-G-

7. serhan

serhan SC All-Pro

May 7, 2011
    NYC