Weather reports

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by BBW, Jan 27, 2011.

1. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Here in NY state, north east of Manhattan just below the border of Connecticut, we just got about a foot or more of snow, though Central Park has just had another 19 inches added. It was beautiful earlier - if my pix come out I'll post one.

One of the main highways called 95 North has been backed up for 5 hours, New Haven line Metro North (our train line into and NYC and up to Boston) has been stopped for now.

Personally, we're fine. We have power, we have our wood burning stove, we have my husband The Snow Blower Amundsen, and our dog loves it. All plans work and otherwise have changed for the day. It's a snow day and when you're safe and sound it can be fun.:wink:

What's it like in your neck of the woods?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter boo!

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    Although we had really bad snow before Xmas it had just been DULL DULL DULL and rainy here. We have had a tiny bit of snow but not enough to settle. I hate winter!! :frown: But gathering ideas for my 'studio' in my garage which is the next project.:smile:

• Like Like x 1
  3. TraamisVOS

TraamisVOS SC Hall of Famer

Nov 29, 2010
    Melboune, Australia
    We're just past the halfway point of summer here, the weather today was just nice, sunny but not too hot and not very humid.

Elsewhere in the country there are devastating floods though.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter boo!

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    Those floods look horrific! Glad you're no where near them. Hope you haven't got family there.

• Like Like x 2
  5. TraamisVOS

Nov 29, 2010
    Melboune, Australia
    I have some friends who live up in the countryside but they're not within the flood areas. They're really lucky, their farm property was safe when the devastating bush fires raged through the area a couple of years ago.

• Like Like x 1
  6. bilzmale

bilzmale Super Moderator Emeritus

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    Hot and dry here - 38C today (over the old century) and more to come. Possibility of thunder but no rain. A cyclone is tracking down the coast quite a bit north of here but staying out to sea (which is good).

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    A solid base from small snow storms every few days it seems like, then a few inches the night before last and yesterday morning, followed by a midday break (so, what to do but run out and buy a camera!), followed by a predicted 3-6" last night that turned into another 14-16 inches (from what I could see on the top of cars - much more on the ground where it had drifted, been plowed, etc). Now its sunny and beautiful as everyone digs out. I moved into a condo about 3 1/2 years ago and I don't shovel snow or cut grass anymore. I sit and drink coffee and watch the guys hired by the condo association come around and shovel and plow. Its really nice. I sometimes go out and shovel our immediate stoop for nostalgia purposes, but its a lot different when its optional!

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  8. TraamisVOS

Nov 29, 2010
    Melboune, Australia
    A couple of years ago my father was on a business road trip with an associate from China and they found themselves stuck in traffic gridlock in the country roads due to the raging bush fires. They got back safely though which was good.

A couple of days later the business associate flew back to China and as he was driving home from the airport, he found himself in another traffic gridlock due to a horrendous snow blizzard. He got home safely and immediately called my father and they both had a chuckle at the madness of it all.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Grant

Grant SC Veteran

Nov 12, 2010
    Lunenburg Nova Scotia
    The weather is all messed up. I live considerably north of BB and we should be inundated with snow but it is not so. Usually our winters are consistently below freezing and we have snow on the ground for about three months. Our inlet is usually frozen over by the 16 of January and while there is ice in it is not even close to freezing over. There is very little snow on the ground. Today were New York is getting hammered we are getting rain. Call it global warming or witchcraft the weather is sure strange. Giving my druthers i would rather have a nice blanket of snow for photographing.

• Like Like x 1
  10. grebeman

grebeman Old Codgers Group

Jul 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    8/8 cloud cover, a cold ENE wind that's come from a long way further north, 4 deg C, but with a wind chill feels below zero, nowhere near as much as quite a few of you have to put up with, but I'm a wimp!!, roll on spring.

Barrie

• Like Like x 1
  11. john1027

john1027 SC Regular

Jul 11, 2010
    Alexandria, VA
    That is my plan as son as my 12 year old gets out of high school. On another note...don't despair as spring can't be far away as pitchers and catchers report to baseball spring training in less than 3 weeks. Of course that is in the sunny and warm southern and western states, but I always look to that as a sure sign that winter is on its way out.

• Like Like x 1