1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Weatherproof camera with long reach?

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Jock Elliott, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott SC All-Pro

Jan 3, 2012
    Troy, NY
    Earlier today I found myself trying to photograph a hawk in a snowstorm. Got this:

hawk_in_snowstorm_006-001_Medium_.JPG

I also found myself concerned about the FZ200 in the snow.

So, any nominations for a weatherproof long-reach camera . . . even (gasp) a system camera (both camera a lens have to be weatherproof)?

Cheers, Jock

• Like Like x 1
  2. Yeats

Yeats SC All-Pro

Jul 31, 2012
    New Jersey, USA
    Chris
    Pentax K-30/K-50 + DA 55-300 WR...

• Like Like x 4
  3. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    The K50/K30 can be had for a good price right now.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Yeats

Yeats SC All-Pro

Jul 31, 2012
    New Jersey, USA
    Chris
    Yup, a K-30 + DA 55-300 WR combo runs about $900 currently.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    IMG_6790_zps4230771f.

(You'll need to exchange the E-M5 for an E-M1 if you want fast autofocus)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I was dearly hoping the new Olympus Stylus 1 would have WR. That might have been the perfect, compact solution. Alas, that was not to be. But until something like that happens, here's another vote for the Pentax K-30 or K-50 with the DA 55-300 WR. In fact, that lens would make a good combination with the DA 18-135 WR, which is often sold as a kit with the K-30 and K-50. Pentax's DSLRs aren't much bigger than the Panasonic GH3 and Olympus E-M1 and they are good equipment.

But, here's a thought: Just how vulnerable are most non-WR cameras during snowfall? It seems that is somewhat less of a risk than rain - and most cameras can take some light rain without damage. Does anyone have any thoughts or personal experience to follow this up?

• Like Like x 2
  7. Yeats

Yeats SC All-Pro

Jul 31, 2012
    New Jersey, USA
    Chris
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott SC All-Pro

Jan 3, 2012
    Troy, NY
    Is that a weatherproof lens?

cheers, Jock

9. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott SC All-Pro

Jan 3, 2012
    Troy, NY
    • Like Like x 1
  10. john m flores

john m flores SC All-Pro

Aug 13, 2012
    Or a butler.

I've shot with non-WR cameras in some dreadful conditions, and as long as you are careful – tucking the camera away when not in use, not putting under a running faucet, etc... – you can use them in the snow. It would take a pretty determined drop of water to work its way deep enough into the camera to short anything out.

This post contains no warrantees, guarantees, or anything. Your mileage will probably vary.

• Like Like x 2
  11. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    Sony rx10 has weather sealing, not sure how much thouhh

• Like Like x 1
  12. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    and make sure a very absorbent lint free towel is part of your kit and dont shut the lens down til you dry it off. Works for me, though I do have 2 Pentax WR lenses. I'm seriously considering selling my regular 55-300 and getting the WR version.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Yeats

Yeats SC All-Pro

Jul 31, 2012
    New Jersey, USA
    Chris
    I agree with Sue and John, it is certainly possible to use a non-WR camera in inclement weather if one is careful. A little rain never bothered me, nor a moderate snow; I'm always careful to wipe away the moisture, and not retract the lens until it's been dried.

I took these a couple years ago with a Pentax K-x & Sigma 170-500...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  14. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Same here. My Pentax kit is about as complete as it can get. I'd like the new DA 20-40mm Limited zoom but I'm done paying $1,000 for lenses. But the WR version of the DA 55-300 is a definite possibility - and a worthy upgrade.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    Yes. Weathersealed camera, weathersealed lens, weathersealed adapter. The catch is that the 50-200mm f2.8-3.5 was designed for the 4/3 DSLR range so the focus is quite slow on any Micro 4/3 body except the new E-M1 which has on-sensor PDAF that actually works very well.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Joel Venable

Joel Venable New to SC

Dec 17, 2013
    I actually have the E-M1 + 50-200 combo (non-SWD version). Focus is a non issue during daylight, but I'd like to point out that in low light it still fails miserably long before a native m43 lens, so I don't think this combo would be suitable for nighttime sporting events. I've also noticed that the lack of "cross-type" PDAF sensors means that it's very helpful to put a vertical or horizontal line on the focus point.

Sure doesn't stop the combo from producing beautiful results though! This shot is racked out to 200mm (400mm equivalent on 35mm). Also note that this lens can take the 1.4 and 2.0 teleconverters for more reach.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3