1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Weekend in the Algarve

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by theoldsmithy, Mar 5, 2014.

1. theoldsmithy

theoldsmithy SC Top Veteran

Jan 7, 2013
    Herefordshire, England
    Martin Connolly
  2. Just lovely

• Like Like x 1
  3. pniev

pniev Student for life

Jun 10, 2013
    Very nice, Martin!

• Like Like x 1
  4. BillN

BillN SC Hall of Famer

Aug 25, 2010
    S W France
    Bill
    Martin, has Spring started yet?

5. porchard

porchard SC Veteran

Feb 24, 2013
    Devon, UK
    Very nice set. We visited the Algarve a couple of years ago - it's a glorious place to be, and to photograph.

I see from the EXIF details that the RX100 was in action here, and it did a great job. I wish that I'd had my RX100 when we were there - it would certainly have cut down the amount of weight I carried around...:rolleyes:

6. theoldsmithy

Jan 7, 2013
    Herefordshire, England
    Martin Connolly
    In the Algarve it seemed to be already summer! But in Cheshire the hawthorn is just starting to come out, the occasional daff is showing, some crocuses are out and the grass is looking in serious need of a cut. Definitely feeling a little bit springy.

• Like Like x 2
  7. theoldsmithy

Jan 7, 2013
    Herefordshire, England
    Martin Connolly
    Yes, the RX100 is a fantastic companion for travel. The only problem I have with it is it that it takes an age from turning it on to being able to take a photo. But you can't have everything!

• Like Like x 1
  8. porchard

porchard SC Veteran

Feb 24, 2013
    Devon, UK
    Yes... and strangely, it takes even longer to switch off! :confused:

9. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Envy is a "four letter" word, so I'll try to tamp that feeling down and enjoy this beautiful place and your warm weather vicariously, Martin!

10. lcsolla

lcsolla SC Regular

Sep 5, 2011
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Luis Castro e Solla
    It is always good to see beautiful pictures of my country, and a very nice Briton who takes care not to misspell the names of the places - not one. The Algarve, the southermost province of Continental Portugal, was always considered a place apart - so much that our kings used the title "King of Portugal and the Algarves" (the plural for our overseas possessions). Its weather is particularly pleasant, with mild winters, and summers that while hot, do not get unbearable too often. Although relatively homogenous, the coastal Algarve is now very different from the more traditional and unspoilt areas inland and uphill, and there is also a difference between the more Atlantic West (e.g., Sagres) and the hotter East.
    I particularly liked your first photo, wildflowers at Milreu.

• Like Like x 2
  11. porchard

porchard SC Veteran

Feb 24, 2013
    Devon, UK
    Well said!

There certainly is! The difference was very noticeable. We stayed firstly in the Atlantic West, then later in the holiday we stayed in the East. It was decidedly HOT in the East!

Me too - but then... I liked all of the shots!

• Like Like x 1
  12. cheeks69

cheeks69 SC Veteran

Aug 5, 2013
    Southeastern, MA
    Robert
    Great photos, thanks for sharing !
    I have been to Algarve several times and have seen most of Algarve coastline from Vila Real de St Antonio to Lagos but somehow missed Silves, will have to check it out next time I'm down there:smile:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Matt Everglade

Matt Everglade SC Regular

Mar 5, 2014
    Germany
    Thank you for the impressions on the Algarve. I am there in two weeks and therefore those inspirations are highly appreciated.

14. lcsolla

lcsolla SC Regular

Sep 5, 2011
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Luis Castro e Solla
    Although I am a Lisboner, and I live in Lisbon, feel free to contact me if needing some hints on places to see, etc... Being not a professional travel agent, nor a professional photographer, I shall of course just give you my free, personal, opinions on the Algarve and its places. During a part of my life I used to go to the Algarve for two-three days every other week, all-year round.