Well... the 50-140 f2.8 is on its way...

Discussion in 'Fuji X Forum' started by Boompa, Dec 22, 2014.

1. Boompa

Boompa SC Regular

Should be delivered Tuesday. Is it a step forward or a step back? :cool:

I'm excited about the potential the lens holds as the f2.8 70-200 was a go-to lens for me in many applications back in the Canon 5D Mkii and "L" glass days. I owned 7 or 8 pieces of L glass including both of the f2.8 zooms. I sold it all when I went X-body.

So part of me is thinking, "Oh boy, here we go again with the extra vertical grip, the big, heavy f2.8 zoom, etc. on my X-T1" but the other half of me recognizes that the lens is STILL significantly smaller than the Canon (or Nikon) equivalent glass and I know how handy a bright zoom can be.

We'll see...

And while I own the 56mm f1.2 I'm VERY excited about the 90mm f2 as the 135mm f2 Canon "L" lens was my all-time-favorite for portraits... producing far better results than the canon 85mm F1.2.

And of course.... since I now own the 50-140 f2.8 I will *HAVE* to order the 16-55 f2.8 when it becomes available, right? I mean- it's a "SET" that must be kept together! LOL!

GAS is a terrible thing.

2. KillRamsey

KillRamsey SC Hall of Famer

Jun 20, 2012
    Cambridge, MA
    Kyle
    I think my ideal setup is having a buddy in my town who will LOAN me a 50-140. Not sure I want to buy one, or how often I'd really use it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    If I was a big zoom user, I might go for this lens. Certainly in the past I've had the Nikon "equivalent" and I agree it is attractive but for me Fuji is more about the primes*, so the 90 is my next target when it comes out, to go with my X-Pro2.

*says the man with 18-55, 18-135 and 55-200 lenses... :rolleyes:

4. KillRamsey

Jun 20, 2012
    Cambridge, MA
    Kyle
    I just never want anything longer than an 85. Or, so rarely that it approaches "never." I don't do sports (yet, daughter is 5 so we'll see), don't do birds, ... what else do people do with lengths beyond "portrait?"

5. WoodWorks

WoodWorks SC Regular

Dec 21, 2014
    • Like Like x 3
  6. KillRamsey

Jun 20, 2012
    Cambridge, MA
    Kyle
    Obliged, Wood. I've never had a decent lens longer than portrait, so I've just never explored it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Sometimes I just walk around with the 40-150 set to 125 or so. It's a different perspective, even for street shots. Not a planned thing as much as an experiment.

8. grillec

grillec SC Veteran

Jan 16, 2014
    On announcement I've said, this would be my next lens for the X-E's. But now I've had skipped the 56mm and would say that I don't feel an urgent necessity to own the 50-140mm.
    At the moment (despite the fact that I own both first XF zooms and 14mm, 35mm, 60mm) I'm very happy with manual lenses and the last one was a very cheap Canon FD 135mm/2.5 S.C.
    On the X-E2 I hadn't testet it, but on a bigger sensor it is sharp at 2.5.

Nevertheless good luck and fun with the new zoom (and perhaps they'd deliver a few sherpas to carry it on a tour :) )

9. tonyturley

tonyturley SC Veteran

Nov 24, 2014
    Scott Depot, WV, USA
    Tony
    Love #1 & #3, David. Nothing wrong with #2, but I can't help but look at it and think "She only weighs 58 kg?" . . . the places my mind goes.

Tony

• Like Like x 1
  10. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    That's about 127 lbs. American women pay good money to get to that weight.:biggrin:

11. tonyturley

tonyturley SC Veteran

Nov 24, 2014
    Scott Depot, WV, USA
    Tony
    LOL!! Again.

12. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    She must work out.