West Highlands

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by HeatherTheVet, Jan 17, 2012.

1. HeatherTheVet

HeatherTheVet SC All-Pro

Apr 23, 2011
    Scotland
    Heather
    • Like Like x 12
  2. Xuereb

Xuereb SC Veteran

Nov 5, 2010
    W. Australia
    Superb. The second is particularly hypnotic. Did you use the kit lens?

3. christilou

christilou SC Hall of Famer S.C. Charter Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Sunny Frimley
    Last one for me :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    wow, all 4 are really, really nice! Impossible for me to pick a favorite, or even a least favorite, they're all wonderful!

5. HeatherTheVet

HeatherTheVet SC All-Pro

Apr 23, 2011
    Scotland
    Heather
    I think these were all the kit lens (which I bought when no-one was looking :smile:) the last one *might* be the pancake, I'd need to check. But I think it was kit @18mm.

6. Djarum

Djarum SC All-Pro S.C. Charter Member Subscribing Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Huntsville, AL
    Jason
    Very nice shots. Very well done. The first and last are wonderful.

7. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus S.C. Charter Member

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Spotted these last night, I think, on Flickr, and fell in love with your West Highlands.

My first dog was a West Highland White.

If I had to choose, I'd choose your second and fourth, though I like them each very much.

8. HeatherTheVet

HeatherTheVet SC All-Pro

Apr 23, 2011
    Scotland
    Heather
    • Like Like x 3
  9. Julien

Julien SC Top Veteran

Jan 6, 2012
    Paris, France
    Julien
    I particularily like the 4th one. The snapseed version is nice too but I prefer the original b&w/sepia. Anyway, all good shots!

10. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus S.C. Charter Member

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Although I do like your Snapseed version...I think I'm still with your first due to its simplicity with less detail showing in the surrounding mountains, sky and foreground...the same for the reflections. Your first has a more meditative air, whereas the detail and more varied tones in your second give the scene a very different feeling. Not that it's a "bad" feeling, it's just different and once I've tasted of heaven...well, you know.

Seriously, Heather, I like both versions very much. If I hadn't seen your first version, I'm sure I would have fallen head over heals for your second... There is much more depth to your second...and that countryside is so dramatic and glorious, I can see why you'd want to show it off more... I just keep going back to the quiet stillness of your first.

What about you, Heather, which do you like better?

You should see me in my "darkroom" going back and forth on my own versions of one of my own pictures...ad infinitum, I might add!:rolleyes::wink:

11. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator Moderator

Jul 3, 2010
    +1, really lovely shot - the dog makes it perfect for me.

12. PapaDee

PapaDee SC Regular Subscribing Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Springfield, Virginia USA
    David
    Yes. The 2nd is way better. But the first is no slouch.

13. P.H

P.H SC Regular

Apr 4, 2011
    Derby, UK
    All great, the second one is just stunning. I prefer the original to the Snapseed version, though my preference for landscape is usually simpler processing. Which do you prefer?
    I'm in the process of planning this years Scotland cycling trip, can't wait.

14. HeatherTheVet

HeatherTheVet SC All-Pro

Apr 23, 2011
    Scotland
    Heather
    I'm not sure which I like best, I like them both! I think it might be easier to tell with a hard copy. Having a problem in that I have no idea where the snapseed-ed file has gone though. I uploaded it to Flickr straight from Snapseed and I don't know if it is saved on my computer anywhere. If it is I can't find it anyway. The reworked one does feel a bit more like the place, but both have their charm.

Sorry for sporadic (and rather selfish) posting, things are very busy here. I leave the house at 8am, often don't return till 9pm. There's not a lot of time in amongst that for photos at the moment!

15. expat

expat New to SC

Jan 30, 2012
    I love the 4th one. The dog seeming to look into the dark area rather than the more obvious lighter area of the distance is what makes it special IMHO (and the Snapseed version ruins the effect).

BTW I love this area, my mother came from Kinlochleven.

16. HeatherTheVet

HeatherTheVet SC All-Pro

Apr 23, 2011
    Scotland
    Heather
    • Like Like x 2
  17. HeatherTheVet

HeatherTheVet SC All-Pro

Apr 23, 2011
    Scotland
    Heather
    I've been away in Wester Ross again enjoying myself. Snow capped peaks presented me with some interesting challenges, some of which I'm trying to sort out in Aperture. In the meantime, here's the first couple of pictures.

[​IMG][/url] DSC04856 by heather_t_vet, on Flickr[/IMG]

[​IMG][/url] Slaggan Sunset by heather_t_vet, on Flickr[/IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  18. HeatherTheVet

HeatherTheVet SC All-Pro

Apr 23, 2011
    Scotland
    Heather
    I quite like this one, I think the processing needs something yet but still, a nice wee hoose

[​IMG][/url] Wee Bothy by heather_t_vet, on Flickr[/IMG]

19. HeatherTheVet

HeatherTheVet SC All-Pro

Apr 23, 2011
    Scotland
    Heather
  20. Isoterica

Isoterica SC Hall of Famer

Dec 6, 2011
    Beautiful photos, beautiful scenery. On the fourth of the first installment I prefer the original only because I don't think it needed snapseed. The snapseed looked good too but I am of a mind that if it's already there, there it is, if it needs a gentle nudge to bring out some element or another, then process to bring that element out.