What CSC is also very good for video?

Discussion in 'Open Gear Talk' started by Pelao, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Pelao

Pelao SC All-Pro

Jul 11, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    My kid is a good photographer, but takes video much more seriously. She is a very good editor, and has received some recognition for her work. I don't shoot video. I write and produce, but don't shoot. My cameras have unused video options.

I'd like to get her a new camera. She needs very good still quality, but video is critical. I'm happy to get something good that will last a few years. She's a teenager, but responsible (at least as far as I know)...

I was considering the E-PL5, as she could use my M4/3 lenses for stills (my wife now has the GF1). It's a bit more than I want to spend, but seems like a good camera.

If any of you are knowledgeable and willing to share ideas, I would appreciate your input.
  2. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    the obvious candidates are the Panasonic GH series, which are more and more aimed at pleasing both photographers and (professional) video shooters. I don't know if they're too large and / or expensive though (seems GH3 is obviously too expensive)
  3. Julien

Julien SC Top Veteran

Jan 6, 2012
    Paris, France
    I'm not into video myself, but I've heard many times that the best CSC for video is the GH2. Can't tell you more than that.
  4. Ripleysbaby

Ripleysbaby supernatural anesthetist

Sep 9, 2011
    Cumbria UK
  5. lenshoarder

lenshoarder SC Veteran

Mar 7, 2012
    +1 on the GH2. If you want something for half the cost yet pretty much as good, the GH1 hacked. An even lower cost option is the GF2 hacked. If you don't care about size though, I'd go with the GH1 over the GF2.
  6. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    It would have to be a GH1 for the best bang-for-buck.
  7. Kin Lau

Kin Lau SC Regular

Oct 23, 2012
    GH2 is definitely the best choice by a good margin. Prices aren't bad right now either.
  8. Pelao

Pelao SC All-Pro

Jul 11, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks for the input. I had considered the GH2, but was concerned it was a bit large. In fact though, it might be just the thing.