1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What I (didn't) buy today

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by pdh, Jun 18, 2012.

1. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    I woke up this morning and thought ... hmm I fancy a fixed-lens RF ... so I popped into the BHF charity shop on the offchance and there it was ... a Mamiya 35 with leather ever-ready case, and a fitted leather full case complete with two WestonMaster IV (plus cone), a miniature Kodak hotshoe lightmeter, and a selection of accessory lenses and filters ... the focus ring was extremely stiff, the winding lever felt sticky and (yes Barrie you will be pleased to know I had my glasses with me) when I peeked through the (50mm/2.8 Sekor) lens it was fairly fungused ... £30 ... didn't buy, don't reckon I'd have made a profit even flogging the bits off separately ... though I couldn't see one on eBay ... and who apart from Mr Sweeney would be able to service it?

there was also a Zenit, about which the most interesting thing as the 37mm lens ... never seen one of those before (M42 so adaptable to m43 but it was huge and a bit sticky) ...

• Like Like x 1
  2. Brian

Brian SC Top Veteran

Jul 7, 2010
    I would have passed on it as well. And the price- not that great.

• Like Like x 1
  3. grebeman

grebeman Old Codgers Group

Jul 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    Paul,

You should be the one who was pleased you had your glasses with you, to see all the problems with the kit!

Barrie

• Like Like x 1
  4. Isoterica

Isoterica SC Hall of Famer

Dec 6, 2011
    Glasses, a necessary evil, prevented you from buying an unnecessary evil, gear that needed work. Sounds like it all turned out. =)

• Like Like x 2
  5. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    a near miss.....nice. I often wonder these aren't called near-hits instead.

• Like Like x 2
  6. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    hehe thanks all.
    A slight shame it wasn't in better nick and cheaper, it's an "interesting" looking camera.
    I suppose it's possible I will come upon an immaculate M3+Summilux ...

7. Brian

Brian SC Top Veteran

Jul 7, 2010
    Anything is possible at a Thrift Store.

Leica III with Elmar
    Leica IIIa with Summar
    Rolleiflex V with Xenar
    Rollei 35TE
    --------------------
    $60 total

8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jul 3, 2010
    Wow, Brian! I've gotten some nice old fountain pens for a steal, but that is something else!

9. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    Yeah, I would have been looking over my shoulder to see if I was some part of a "candid" video joke.

10. Isoterica

Dec 6, 2011
    You have some serious upscale thrift stores. I've never seen that in all my outings. Saw two LTM bodies at an estate sale, once, but nothing ever in a garage or thrift store.

11. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    hmm ... I'd be interested to know how long ago that was Brian?

12. Isoterica

Dec 6, 2011
    Good point, any thrift store around Chicagoland has a value scale and won't sell something like that so inexpensively. I've seen mink coats at the Salvation Army store, but not for five dollars.