What if you had a totally unlimited photography budget . . .

Speaking of m43, I've been thinking of getting the Blackmagic Pocket Cam, it's finally started shipping, I'm definitely all for the f/0.95 too.

If you are comfortable with the 5DMkII, why don't you upgrade to the MkIII? As I understand it, the image quality you get from the MkIII a big step ahead of the MkII isn't it? I've only seen feedback from Bloom and Maschwitz. Magic Lantern have been working on extracting uncompressed raw from the MkIII too aren't they?

I haven't looked at a Dragon upgrade, any extra cash I have I want to spend on accessories like more memory, extra batteries, a couple of lenses. I really wish I could use my existing M mount lenses on the Scarlet (I understand it's 35mm or 50mm upwards only, no wide, plus I don't know if that applies to the Voigtlander M lenses I have).

The thing about upgrading to Dragon is that it would cost me even more in memory to run, that adds up with storage etc. Also, my first instinct (if I had the money) was to take the upgrade option to the Epic so that I could utilise the high frame rates.

*downloading brochure for the Phoenix 1000*

You sir, have impeccable taste.

I'm afraid that I'd have to bow out, James - waaaay too claustrophobic for me. All I can think about is the movie Das Boot!

The largest luxury sub they have is bigger than the average NY apartment, in fact it's about the size of a decent house in the burbs, over four levels and everything.

oh wow, I never knew there was such a thing as a luxury submarine! That looks awesome! :thumbup!:

I can't remember how I stumbled on this, I think I may have been daydreaming about what's possible if I ever won the lottery. I do remember thinking that I'd buy a decommissioned oil rig in the ocean and set it up as a research station for marine biologists, environmental scientists, and oceanographers at very little cost to them, on condition that I get to visit and go on deep sea dives with the researchers and other ocean-related activities.

Here are some links to the potential afterlife of decommissioned rigs:

FOR SALE: Well-maintained 20-room platform. Panoramic sea views and a Heli deck.

Sale of existing platforms: past, present, and future - Offshore

Audacious New Concept Turns Oil Rigs Into Luxury Homes

Environmental Scientists Urge That Decommissioned Oil Rigs Be Transformed Into Artificial Reefs - Forbes

UTS: Research - News - University of Technology, Sydney

The camera I really want doesnt exist -so I would get one custom made...

The ultimate serious compact would be a digital Fujifilm HD-M:

sR00110101.jpg

Just need to toughen up a large sensor compact to be all weather/shallow submersible - my idea of the ultimate walk around in any weather camera! :2thumbs:

The annoying thing is that the silly tiny sensor tough-cams show all the technology is sorted, but noone will make what I want.

Speaking of m43, I've been thinking of getting the Blackmagic Pocket Cam, it's finally started shipping, I'm definitely all for the f/0.95 too.

If you are comfortable with the 5DMkII, why don't you upgrade to the MkIII? As I understand it, the image quality you get from the MkIII a big step ahead of the MkII isn't it? I've only seen feedback from Bloom and Maschwitz. Magic Lantern have been working on extracting uncompressed raw from the MkIII too aren't they?

I haven't looked at a Dragon upgrade, any extra cash I have I want to spend on accessories like more memory, extra batteries, a couple of lenses. I really wish I could use my existing M mount lenses on the Scarlet (I understand it's 35mm or 50mm upwards only, no wide, plus I don't know if that applies to the Voigtlander M lenses I have).

The thing about upgrading to Dragon is that it would cost me even more in memory to run, that adds up with storage etc. Also, my first instinct (if I had the money) was to take the upgrade option to the Epic so that I could utilise the high frame rates.

I've got a Blackmagic Pocket on order, but I'm looking at the footage that has started to emerge, and there are some issues that BM really need to address. Like the Fuji X10, the Pocket actually has ORBS! It's the dreaded Fuji X10 Orbfest all over again. Highlights like car headlights are being rendered as burned out blobs of light. Not cool. But the colour looks great, as long as I can manage Davinci Resolve properly. The Pocket has a base ISO of 800, which is definitely enough for my shooting needs when paired with the f0.95 Noktons.

The move from 5DII to 5DIII is an okay idea, but I've just sunk a whole lot of money into m43 lenses, so making the most of the 5DII is a better bet for me, at this time! The 5DIII has the best raw ML support at the moment, but the 5DII can purportedly do a pretty good job. Max raw resolution in the 5DII is similar to 2.35 anamorphic, so that isn't so bad, either.

Definitely hear you on the Scarlet-Epic upgrade, rather than Dragon upgrade. The more footage I see from Red, the more I think a Scarlet or Epic would be super. But I held a Scarlet once, and was horrified by just how chunky and heavy it was. Not quite the run and gun camera I would like to use, more something I'd have to majorly rig up, or buy a more sturdy monopod. The notion of an unlimited photography budget would mean that I could play with the Epic Dragon at my leisure, and not have to think about getting my money's worth from it at all times!

Just need to toughen up a large sensor compact to be all weather/shallow submersible - my idea of the ultimate walk around in any weather camera! :2thumbs:

The annoying thing is that the silly tiny sensor tough-cams show all the technology is sorted, but noone will make what I want.
I feel your pain mate... I've been waiting for that camera for years! One possible explanation I've read is that waterproof cameras run into heat issues rather quickly, particularly on-land in hot conditions, and a larger sensor generates more heat making it more difficult to maintain reliability. But you'd think they could figure out some way around this, right?

I've got a Blackmagic Pocket on order, but I'm looking at the footage that has started to emerge, and there are some issues that BM really need to address. Like the Fuji X10, the Pocket actually has ORBS!

I was disappointed when I saw your message about the BM pocket cam! I looked up some footage and saw the orb issue, it doesn't look tooooooooooooooooo bad... I guess we're going to have to see whether it's a firmware fixable or whether the entire sensor has to be replaced like the X10.

Not sure what I want to do now. I was looking forward to the Leica M240 and how Leica was making claims that it'll be a filmmaker's tool. When that came out I wasn't only disappointed, I was pissed at Leica for pulling our legs that far with their claims. So I turned my attention to the BM pocket cam but it was delayed and now that it's finally out I can see that it's still got some basic issues to deal with. What I really liked about the BM cameras is that I'm able to post-process the footage in Lightroom, and if I can do that I am confident I can do amazing things with the raw video footage.

Could you let me know when your pocket cam arrives? I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

I'd purchase continuous unlimited quantities of the most expensive gear & newest, sell them at half price, and live off the earnings....:D

- arri alexa
- red camera
- sony fs700

- phase1 645df+

- whatever mirrorless FF alpha coming out

- zeiss cp.2 lenses

- leica m

- especially for me fuji FF x-trans rangefinder w/FF fujinon lenses (in all black) and for adobe to finally get it right.

(Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk)

I'd give the money to the poor starving kittens and live in a shack taking pictures with a shoe-box pinhole, with lemon juice soaked paper as my medium. Or a Leica. And not the crappy one the shmoes have, but Garry Wingrands old Leica, sent back to Germany re machined to fit my oaffish paws, then sent on to my personal designer at versace, with the instruction: No animal is not endangered enough to not be used in the finishing of my camera... Make me sparkle.

Back