What is it Wednesday - Week 53

Richard

All-Pro
Welcome to this week's What is it Wednesday. A reminder of the rules:

Each member gets one guess. The answer will be revealed on the following Tuesday. The first correct guess has the honour of submitting the image for the next challenge. Sometimes there will be more than one thing in the photo or more than one way to accurately describe what the photo represents. The original poster will be the final judge of who is "most correct".

I apologise in advance for this one, as it's a detail of something we came across in our travels and not anything you would know from your daily lives (unless you live in that town).

So. What have we here?

28582805365_60d4cba34b_c.jpg
mystery thing
by Richard, on Flickr

Since it's hard to imagine what the purpose of the slits is, and since the gap cut-out seems too rough to be a professional tool of sorts, I'm inclined to go with Luke's explanation. However, since that's been suggested already, I'll go with something else, being... a DIY project gone wrong and abandoned, after which the parts of the original sheet of metal were re-attached to each other to form a fence.

What you've been looking at is part of a metal gate on the entrance to a strawberry-themed shop and restaurant in Germany.

28100214464_51b89c81d1_c.jpg
Travemunde (5)
by Richard, on Flickr

Luke was basically correct with weathered metal in a garden but I think Matero was slightly closer by suggesting a welcome sign (albeit a town sign rather than a business). So it's a close one, but I declare Matero as this week's winner.

-R

Well, thanks a lot! I was hoping to win this one, because I've collected some material for future use in these challenges :) Let's hope they aren't too difficult. So, please be tuned to this channel, or actually the next one tomorrow!

Back