Micro 4/3 What is the test of usability in a camera?

Steve Noel

In Memorium
One of my tests, living in cold country is: "Can it be operated with out removing gloves?"
When I received my EM-5, I was skeptical of it's usability period, because of the tiny, close together buttons, etc. Now, after a couple of weeks, and less than 100 pictures, getting the settings basically to my liking. I can take a walk with the P20 mounted, aperture priority, turn on and off, change aperture, exposure comp, etc., With my thin leather, lined gloves on. A bonus is, that I carry it palmed, with the "hump" in the palm, and the base resting against the thigh. It is comfortable, and ready. On the tripod it is just as ready.
With the OM 50mm, adapted, I can manual focus quite easily, if I use the EVF in magnify mode.
All in all, we seem to be getting on quite well.
Still need to work on picture mode settings.

Feel free to add your criteria. No arguments! Please. :daz:

Depends on the use the camera will get. That's why sometimes you need more than one... My three main cameras are very different from one another, and they all pass my usability test, or they would get sold. The Leica and the Nikon Df work great when I just need a simple camera to use: manual focus, aperture and shutter speed dials readily available with settings immediately visible, and fast and super sharp prime lenses. However, when the situation calls for auto focus, speed of use, and the convenience of zooms, the usability of my Canon 7D Mk. II trumps the Leica and Nikon.

Before someone points this out, I am aware that the Df is an auto focus camera. However, that is not how I have chosen to use it.

Cheers,

Antonio

My cameras tend to fall into "areas of application': long range, FZ200; low light, LX100; bad weather, OMD EM5 with 12-50.

I also like cameras that I can use with my gloves on and that do not easily allow accidental activation of features and functions. Finally, while I insist on having a viewfinder (optical or electronic), I do not like cameras with external add-on viewfinders.

Cheers, Jock

After using many compact p&s, compact, and rangefinder cameras, I can just count the pages I've saved by camera on my website: Leica Q, Panasonic GM1 (12-32), Panasonic ZS40 - these are the big 3 for me - very different cameras, but each very useful in their own way, even though I had no specific application for any of them.

Dale_Photos

I like to have just one camera, that does it all. But, we all know, that there are times that we "need" a different style camera for that job, that the "one", just isn't quite right for. Case in point, EM-5 on tripod in portrait mode looking up. Near impossible to see the screen.
After using Panasonic cameras for several years, with the swing out screens, the OMD tilt screen is a great frustration. I thought I would like it better, before I got it. If you never shoot portrait mode down low, or odd angles, it's great.
Cameras are tools. Ask a mechanic, carpenter, etc., how may tools do they have to do the "job". My next camera, will likely be chosen for those odd angle/tripod shots.

-does it fit in my jacket pocket?
-does it snag on said jacket pocket when taking it out?
-do I need to take off a lens cap first?
-can I operate it with only one hand, including turning it on? (I'd make an exception for manual zoom, like in the Fuji X10 etc, because it allows much quicker zooming)
-do I need to worry about rain and dust?

I agree that rotating screens are much better for portrait orientation shots than tilting screens, but I really dislike them for street-ish photography - the screen sticking out from the side of the camera is just so damn obvious. Better to have it tilting up and hidden behind the camera, from the subject's point of view.

Back