Sony what my new rx1 can do!

rbelyell

All-Pro
so this 'sky' issue we've been trying to figure out has obscured how much fun i'm having with this camera, and how very special its results are. so i,m taking a rest from all that to concentrate on the many positives: feels so very solid, especially with my RRS grip; shutter is just awesome, so responsive yet silent; evf hands down the best clarity ive used plus it articulates for discreet shooting; and the files are so very rich and hairsplitingly sharp. oh yeah, and ultra macro capability. anyway, though the awful weather has limited my opportunities over the month ive owned it, here are my top dozen, C&C welcome:

p362448339-5.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

p171937598-5.jpg

p138546051-5.jpg

p399438922-5.jpg

p51259053-5.jpg

p364758328-5.jpg

p18246537-5.jpg

View attachment 84144

p287030276-5.jpg

p276155609-5.jpg

p243271703-5.jpg

p602287412-5.jpg

Great little camera, isn't it? I love the ice crystal and also really like the shot of your wife/girlfriend in the restaurant, the sun-set/rise over the cabin, and the last one of the church.

Have fun with it. Hope you get your banding issue solved - hate to have that hanging over my head!

-Ray

thanks so much guys! im really enjoying the rx1, despite my innate dislike of sony. ): the results and versatility are simply unbeatable in this compact of a package. the 'feel', including the lens, aperture and shutter, combined with the best evf out there imparts a tremendous satisfaction that your using a quality product--though i do think the RRS grip plays a very big part in this for me. the depth, sharpness and just 'richness' of the files provide a constant surprise to me. and though i'm not a 'macro' guy, its great to have this specialt tool so superbly integrated. that ice crystal was the tiniest spec on the outside of one of my windows, amazing!

thanks for the kind comments. it doesnt come through on this small platform, but the ice covered stream photo is actually the most impressive in full scale. the nuance and textural differences this thing captured are frankly stunning. the running stream impressed me because it was shot handheld at 1/4 second at f11. my personal favorite is the coffee store scene, how it lined up with the juxtaposition of the bags and the guy grinding, and the tones and textures the camera captured, just made me smile.

as for the 'banding' issue, im coming to the conclusion its 90% jpeg artifacts. up to now ive been a confirmed 90% jpeg shooter. i think this was because i shot great jpeg cameras, like the x100, olympus and the gxr m. frankly for all it is, this camera has a truly crappy joeg engine. one of the worst ive seen. ive really never seen the huge quality difference in regular light in side by side raw vs jpeg. but in many situations you really can see the difference with this cam. honestly some of the jpegs are worthless while the raw analogue is excellent. like two different cameras. ive never experienced that kind of disparity before, and frankly at this price point it pisses me off to a fare-the-well. but the rest of the experience is good enough for me to learn to shoot and PP differently.

i would love to see what you all are doing with this amazing tool--we should have a much more active rx1 thread going! after all this is one of the most 'serious' compacts out there.

but the rest of the experience is good enough for me to learn to shoot and PP differently.

i would love to see what you all are doing with this amazing tool--we should have a much more active rx1 thread going! after all this is one of the most 'serious' compacts out there.

Your PP style is smooth and natural, which I often prefer to more heavily processed looks. A camera like the RX1 lends itself well to a natural PP style, as it seems to produce very smooth, flat images that look 'real', rather than the subtle stippling you get with more noisy cameras.

As for a more active RX1 thread: I suspect that most of the RX1 owners here are quite happily out shooting, and everyone else is balking at the financial entry barrier! Even I am hesitating at the thought of spending AUD$3000 on a camera that, if my camera history continues to hold true, will occupy me for a maximum of three years before I leave it in a drawer in favour of others. But I'd still love to see some more RX1 talk!

archiver, i didnt spend anywhere near that, as i got a complete kit, evf, RRS grip, two batteries, all used and it was much more palatable. good deals are out there!

Back